1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ati 7500 vs geforce2gts for games

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rob_w, May 4, 2002.

1. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all

at the mo im using geforce2gts for playback via metrics plus pj.....

if i `upgrade` to an ati radeon 7500 , i`m pretty sure the pic quality will improve - but will gaming get noticably worse? - as i play alot of quake3 and rtc wolfenstein, i need good performance........ - i`d get the 8500 but i dont want to compromise pic quality for performance........

what about an ati pci card as a second card with the geforce still for games? - do ati make a pci version?

any ideas appreciated ...

cheers

rob

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump!

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    an erstwhile friend of mine whose well into his FPS's strongly suspects the geforce2 GTS 32M will still outperform the 7500 for the 3d malarkey.

I'd suggest you do a search on the net at the many 3d sites . madonion would be a good place to start as it will have lots of benchmarking figures.

tom's hardware is always a good place for hardware comparrisons too

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob, I have the same card (64Mb GTS) for the same purpose - Q3 niceties ;) and have also been looking at a suitable HTPC type upgrade which plays well too. As Mr.D said, tomshardware seem to be very good for reviews, and there's one of the main page with benchmarks summary of about 20 cards!

This puts the 7500 about the same as the GTS, as was found. The 8500 looks like a good balance of 3D and htpc card, but ati seems to be getting some "version 1" driver grief. Personally I like the look of Abit's Ti4600 - 128DDR, 2 monitor displays, 200 odd FPS, video in and out - £330 :(

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had actually looked at some online benchmarks - they always had the geforce2 winning at lower res`, with the 7500 catching up at higher ones.....

my pj only outputs at 800x600, so i`m guessing that q3 etc will probably get by with the 7500 until the 8500 is sorted..

is it much better?(for dvd)- am i better sticking with my geforce till ati sort out the 8500?

cheers for your replys

rob