Ati 4780 to HTPC via hdmi

Walter Sobchak

Ex Member
Reaction score
Can I get HD Sound using the 7.1 Sound built in to my GC?

EDIT title should be 4870.

My amp only accepts it as that anyway! :smashin:

Have hooked it up to my Denon A11XVA via HDMI using the supplied ati dongle. Had to disable onboard sound and installed new driver to get 5.1 or 7.1. Just wondering why my amp does not recognise dts or dolby digital anymore? It displays it as multi channel in?

My amp only accepts it as that anyway! :smashin:

Have hooked it up to my Denon A11XVA via HDMI using the supplied ati dongle. Had to disable onboard sound and installed new driver to get 5.1 or 7.1. Just wondering why my amp does not recognise dts or dolby digital anymore? It displays it as multi channel in?

Your PC is decoding DD and DTS and passing it as LPCM - if you want your receiver to decode these then set you HTPC to pass these signals through and let your amp decode them

Your PC is decoding DD and DTS and passing it as LPCM - if you want your receiver to decode these then set you HTPC to pass these signals through and let your amp decode them

How would I go about that then? Ta :)

That all depends on the software you are using for playback we need a little more information as to what type of file your playing back and what software you are playing it through

That all depends on the software you are using for playback we need a little more information as to what type of file your playing back and what software you are playing it through

KM Player and .mkv files.

In Windows Sound control panel you'll need to select Dolby Digital and DTS as supported audio formats - it is in advanced or properties for the sound device I think.

However there should be no major sound quality differences between PC and receiver decoding for DD and DTS - though the dynamic range compensation and LFE management may differ I guess.

I selected the DD and DTS(ticked the boxes in supported formats), but it has made no difference at all, any ideas?

Walter are you after bitstreaming legacy Dolby Digital and dts to your amp via the ATI card or HD audio codecs via LPCM, if its the latter then have a look at this guide HERE

Walter are you after bitstreaming legacy Dolby Digital and dts to your amp via the ATI card or HD audio codecs via LPCM, if its the latter then have a look at this guide HERE

That guide is for connection with spdif not HDMI, is there a HDMI guide anywhere?

That guide is for connection with spdif not HDMI, is there a HDMI guide anywhere?

No that guide also applies to HDMI if you look at the tickbox which says spdif passthrough this will allow AC£filter to pass Dolby Digital and DTS legacy bitstream through the HDMI, It may not work on yours but it works on my 9300 via HDMI no problem

No that guide also applies to HDMI if you look at the tickbox which says spdif passthrough this will allow AC£filter to pass Dolby Digital and DTS legacy bitstream through the HDMI, It may not work on yours but it works on my 9300 via HDMI no problem

I followed that guide when I was using SPIF from the sound built into my motherboard. I haven't changed any settings since switching to HDMI audio, but still do not get DTS or DD showing up on amp only multi chanel in?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom