1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon/Sempron/64 Help ?!?!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richjthorpe, Aug 9, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of (Slowly) building a PC. I've been looking at mobos and processers and I'm getting a little confused with which combination to go for.

At first I thought an AthlonXP 2500+ on a Socket A mobo, but then I found that XPs are being phased out for 64's as the clock speed on the XP is hitting a ceiling. So I looked at the 754 pin boards with 64bit chips, but this started getting expensive so I looked at a Sempron 2600/2800+ on a 754 pin board with the thinking of when I go full 64bit, all I need is the chip as I'll have the mobo and memory. Would agree that this is the correct way of thinking or is there another way ? I'll be using the PC to connect to a 1366x768 LCD and will be upscaling digital tv to the screen as well as the usual internet surfing but hardly any games (I have a PS2 which is collecting dust already !). I will eventually get something like a 6600GT for proper upscaling, but that will be later.

Also, is there a huge difference between a 333 and 400 FSB ?

Thanks all,

Richie.

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Summary

Athlon/Sempron on Socket A are on their way out and AMD have discounted Socket 754 to match

Sempron/Sempron 64/Athlon 64 on 754 are all possibilities, but Athlon 64 on socket 754 is being phased out and it will be a Sempron only platform. Socket 754 will be phased out in 12-18 months.

Athlon 64/Athlon 64 X2 are on Socket 939 This platform will last 2-2.5 years and be phased out.

Socket 940 is for Opteron and the Workstation/Server market

At this point all AMD will converge on a new socket type similar to 940 called M2, and the server end will migrate to a socket with over 1000 pins.

For bargains at the moment I reckon Sempron 64/Socket 754 are worth a go. For ultimate performance at reasonable value the upcoming Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is a bargain (but not cheap think £200 for the CPU).

As always I recommend looking at Toms Interactive CPU chart and benchmarks representing what you want to do.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html

REMEMBER, the Video and Audio benchmarks for LAME and DIVX represent encoding video/audio, not decoding. So you only need this power if you do something like transfer your own DVDs to your own media server. They are not needed for simple playback. For simple playback buying a decent (not super expensive) graphics card is what you need.

Cheers

Rajiv