Aten HDMI switch VD481b issue

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by blackmesa8, Dec 15, 2016.

1. blackmesa8

blackmesa8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I am well aware this switch is not HDMI 2.0 let alone 2.0a. but it has always worked with anything it is meant to. Had 30hz 4k 8bit out of it aswell as 3d. So it seems quite capable. Before a 4k switch arrived i thought i would test the Chromecast 4k ultra via that switch it is meant to run at 1080p for 1080p TV's not just 4k. Not only doesn't it work but it prevents every other normal 1080p device connected to the switch to work. Blank screen from any input. Remove the Chromecast ultra everything works instantly from the switch again. It does not affect the TV's own HDMI ports.

I tried it by removing switch from my TV losing 3 1080p devices and directly connecting it and it worked with HDR active. I also connected it to a bush! 1080p TV that can't even do full 1080p RGB only limited. and no deep colour or 3d etc. It worked in 1080p 60hz mode and picked up that bush TV straight away.

So why won't it work at 1080p through this switch?
    I have got a HDMI 2.0a switch on the way tomorrow tho. Just curious as to why it couldn't sync with that switch.
    [email protected] entered wrong model It's VS481b

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    HDMI banned Hardware manufacturers from using HDMI 'Version' numbers back in 2012 as it means nothing unless you additionally state what Features the device supports.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Trademark and Logo

UHD generally requires your devices are HDCP 2.2 compliant - if not they may not work, even if you set them to a lower resolution such as 1080p.

The Switch you mention is shown as HDCP 2.2 compliant - possibly you have an older version of the Switch?

What is the model number of your TV?

Joe

3. blackmesa8

blackmesa8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    CX802b fully updated with HDR working on other ports.
    If i do have an older version of the switch shouldn't it still work at 1080p? it does on a ancient bush TV.

The chromecast should i mean. There backwards compatible hence why it did work on ancient bush TV.
    I have not tried it directly connected to the TV yet. I would lose 3x 1080p devices that are connected through that switch. Or i could remove a 4k PC or my UHD player for it to test it directly to the TV.

edit: Switch looks identical to one on the website and says "VS481b" under ATEN just like in pictures of the one on the ATEN website.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. blackmesa8

blackmesa8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I told Aten support that the Google Chromecast Ultra does not work with that model switch they make. Also told them how not only does it not work it stops everything else connected to the switch from working. It makes them all go blank screen. Pull the Chromecast ultra out and all the other devices instantly start working and appear and work properly. Quite a mental fault.

Remember it should work at 1080p if the switch can't support 4k or hdcp 2.2. I proved that by trying it on oldest TV in the house that doesn't even know full RGB 1080p let alone things like deep colour etc. and it worked perfect. It instantly went to 1080p 60hz as the TV said.