1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATC subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dunkyboy, Sep 4, 2002.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm after a subwoofer to go with my ATC Active 10 standmounters (feckin' fantastic speakers) when I move into my bigger room this weekend. If I could afford a Velodyne HGS-12 or -15 that's what I would get, but I simply can't (even at the excellent PowerBuy prices).

Next on the list are those from ATC, as I have so much respect for the company and I *know* they know their bass. :) I've heard the Concept 4 subwoofer - it was STUNNING, but at £1900 it's more expensive than even the HGS-15! If I can, I'll buy one 2nd-hand but I don't think they come up very often (nobody wants to see their's leave I imagine :D ) These beasts have 650-watts of SERIOUS amplification (ATC know how to build an amplifier, believe me!), weigh 50+kg, go down to 18Hz at -2dB (yes, eighteen hertz at minus TWO decibels!) and put out an SPL of 112dB!! Now you see why I want one...

Anyway, to make a long story slightly shorter, there are only two ATC subs I can afford: the Concept 1 and Concept 2 subs. I haven't heard either of them, and the only dealer near me (in Glasgow) doesn't have any demo units in-store. I am 95% confident of buying the C2 sub blind, at £1140, as it's designed to go with my Active 10's and I trust ATC to produce a serious piece of kit. However, on paper the C1 sub is almost identical apart from being lighter and having a less well-reinforced cabinet, and it costs significantly less at £700.

Now, I was wondering if anyone owns or has had experience with either (or both) of these subs? How do they sound, particularly when compared to, say, a REL Storm, or a Velodyne HGS - or the C4 sub? More importantly, how do they compare to each other? Is it worth the extra outlay for the C2?

For one thing, I currently don't have a centre speaker, and if I got the C1 instead of the C2, I could probably afford another Active 10, or the C1 centre...... Decisions, decisions... :)

Any input welcome - cheers,

Dunc