Bobsyouruncle79

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

Hope you can help. I have 2 pairs of ATC speakers one pair is the SCM20 Passive speakers and the other a pair of SCM50 Active speakers. I'm looking for an integrated amp that can run both pairs either together or independently. I've been looking at a Marantz PM8006, would this work? If not could anyone recommend a bit of kit that would? I would like to be able to run one pair or the other independently or both at the same time. I would be using a marantz cd player and record deck on the speakers and possibly a sonos port for streaming.

Its proving a challenge to find the right bit of kit. If i need to have 2 seperate bits of kit, one pre amp and one amp that would be an option.

And advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

G

Good Morning,

Hope you can help. I have 2 pairs of ATC speakers one pair is the SCM20 Passive speakers and the other a pair of SCM50 Active speakers. I'm looking for an integrated amp that can run both pairs either together or independently. I've been looking at a Marantz PM8006, would this work? If not could anyone recommend a bit of kit that would? I would like to be able to run one pair or the other independently or both at the same time. I would be using a marantz cd player and record deck on the speakers and possibly a sonos port for streaming.

Its proving a challenge to find the right bit of kit. If i need to have 2 seperate bits of kit, one pre amp and one amp that would be an option.

Thanks

G
Any amp with pre outs should be able to do that and that means most amps, so you should audition a few and see which you like the sound of (obviously, with something as power hungry as an ATC, you just need to make sure that you get a powerful enough model).

I have used several pairs of ATC passives over the years and they love lots of current!
I had great success with a Roksan Caspian and it has lots of current capability, it would appear the Marantz does not. (Roksan Pre stage is very high quality too).
I would also avoid Class D topology with ATC's, as they are already very forward sounding and may get a bit too aggressive. Stick with Class A/B, but try and demo at home if you can.

I would also avoid Class D topology with ATC's, as they are already very forward sounding
15 to 20 year ago, maybe. These days any differences between A/B and D are in implementation, rather than any inferiority in Class D amplification.

15 to 20 year ago, maybe. These days any differences between A/B and D are in implementation, rather than any inferiority in Class D amplification.
Only my experience with ATC and Class D.
I use Class D with many other speakers.

Only my experience with ATC and Class D.
I use Class D with many other speakers.
As you said above, it's a current thing. They definitely need big power supplies.

The Pre Outs on most amps/preamps that I have come across are always active and can't be turned on/off which rules out them for your application. A couple of options are -

1) An old, high end AVP that is pre HDMI (go really cheaply) and has a Zone 2 output, these can typically be switched independently of the main function and also controlled separately for volume. Something like the Arcam AV8/9 can be had for £2-300 these days (were £3k when new) and should be Ok for stereo use.

2) You could try giving Khozmo a call/email, they make some very good passive preamps that can be configured to your specification, inputs to your spec (say 3 off), two outputs with a switch, you can also specify balanced connectors if you need them for the SCM50's. One output goes to the actives and the other to a power amp for the passives. For a power amp I would have a look at the Nad C298 which uses the Purifi boards but with Nad buffers to provide loads of power and a neutral sound.

3) The third option is to add monitor controller into the mix between a preamp/integrated pre outs and the two speakers / amps, something like the Mackie Big Knob or SMPRO MPatch, this will allow independent switching of the speakers and also some level of volume control on both channels.

May be worth looking at some of the Linn preamps/controllers as these were often designed with multiroom applications in mind and can have multiple outputs but be aware that some only work with a specific controller unit/remote so you will ned to make sure that is with the preamp/controller. Similarly some of the Meridian system are like this as well.

if I think of any more options I'll post later.

The Pre Outs on most amps/preamps that I have come across are always active and can't be turned on/off which rules out them for your application
Hadn't thought of that! :facepalm:

That's the problem, the only way I can see to do it is to double up on the amps and have one for each pair of speakers.
Pre out to something like a Sonos Connect. Sonos Connect to your actives?

I think the cleanest solution is the following -

Mackie Big Knob - has three balance/Unbalanced inputs and three balanced/unbalanced outputs. All inputs and outputs are individually selectable and have both a trim knob and a master volume knob. Plug your sources into the inputs, one output directly to the SCM50's and the other to a power amp for the SCM20's. The Mackie should be pretty much transparent between the source/amps/speakers. OK it's notpretty but will do the job very well. If you use balanced connectors to the SCM50 then distance should not be a problem as they willrun at 4V and be screened from interference (that's how they are used in studios/live settings without issue).

Add a Nad C298 for the SCM20's and off you go. (or your choice of power amp, second hand a Quad 606/707/909 would be a good starting point as well).

the Mackie plus a second hand Quad 909 would be about the same as the PM8006 in terms of cost.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That's the problem, the only way I can see to do it is to double up on the amps and have one for each pair of speakers.

The SCM50's already have amps being active in them so you only need an amp for the SCM20's. There isn't a way of running the SCM50 actives in a passive mode as the crossover is built into the electronics.

Also n0oticed that you would be running a record player, this will need to have a phono preamp built in or a separate one if going with the Mackie option.

Good Morning,

Thanks

G
That amp is not ideal and is of a far lower quality than your speakers deserve!

Although I personally don't like ATC sound (I had ATC 50 Actives 20 years ago), remember that it only needs a preamp to feed it and ideally one with balanced XLR output sockets as the ATC expects this high quality connection. You can use an unbalanced cables with phono plugs one end and XLRs at the other but you loose the benefit of a balanced signal.

Your passive 20 does need a power amp, so perhaps look for a qood quality integrated (to take advantage of the 50's potental performance) with XLR preamp out and with a speaker switch so you can disconnect the 20s when listening to the 50s.

What to choose? I'm not aware of any integrated amp that offers both XLR preamp out and a switch to disconnect the speakers, but I'm sure there are some out there - others could answer this I'm sure.

The alternative is a preamp and power amp. The preamp (for example the NAD M12, but there are lots) should have XLR and line level outputs so you could connect the XLR direct to the 50s and the line level to your power amp. Then just turn on the 50s for listening to them, or the power amp when listening to the 20s. This would probably be my choice over an integrated.

I would advise against any switch box as it needs lots of extra cables (these never improve sound and are costly and untidy) and it's not necessary if you go the separate pre and power amp route. ATCs are notoriously inefficient (hence the 350 watts built into the 50s) so you probably should be looking for 150+ watts for the 20s. Peter

The Pre Outs on most amps/preamps that I have come across are always active and can't be turned on/off which rules out them for your application.
No - just leave the Active 50s switched off when listening to the 20s. More tricky is the other way round - when listening to the 50s and getting the 20s disconnected! See my post above with a simple solution. Peter

Last edited:
Pre out to something like a Sonos Connect. Sonos Connect to your actives?
Quality nowhere near the quality that the 50s need for them to shine.

Quality nowhere near the quality that the 50s need for them to shine.
Possibly, but running Qobuz, lossless, it's no slouch. I did a/b testing into my old Rega Elex R. Used a Topping D30 and a Chord Mojo. It competed well.

Possibly, but running Qobuz, lossless, it's no slouch. I did a/b testing into my old Rega Elex R. Used a Topping D30 and a Chord Mojo. It competed well.
My recommended suggestion is for the OP to use a preamp with both XLR balanced and line level phono outputs, plus a power amp. I'd further suggest (for value reasons) to get a preamp with DAC included and with a streaming facility. I gave as an example the NAD M12 fitted with the BluOS module, but there are many alternatives, including the less costly (list £1600) NAD C658 that has all the connectivity he needs

Sonos just doesn't offer either the sound quality, nor the sockets required for the OP to connect his Active ATC 50 and a power amp for his passive ATC 20.

The M12 has been around for a while so used examples come up regularly, but the OP should really look for one fitted with the optional BluOS module (otherwise it's about £400), so he can stream from Qobuz, Tidal, 10,000 radio stations and his own ripped library, etc. It has a phono stage too if he wants to play vinyl, plus various digital and analogue input options. Peter

mbl-noble-5011-pre-amp-gloss-black-mint.108426

This Pre Amp has separate Outputs and Separate Volume Controls.

A bit expensive, but could be an endgame Pre.
That certainly is expensive, particularly as it has no DAC or streaming facility. My suggestions of NAD C658 at £1600 or a (probably used) the better NAD M12 (including the BluOS streming module), both tick all the boxes for the OP to use either his Active 50s or his passive 20s without the need to change connections. Adding a power amp such as NAD C288 or the even better M23 both use the best Class D technology available - Purifi Eigentakt. Or any other good amp of any suitable technology, but probably not valve or Class A because of the low sensitivity of the 20s. Peter

I have a Class D amp (Lyngdorf 3400) working with my ATCs (SCM 19V2). I find the sound to be superb. No issues at all.
Hi Steve356
Neutral sound but is it warm? Both products are very analytically perfect. How would you describe the type of sound they emit together and what is your source, just out of interest? They're products I admire a lot and have always been on my desire list.

Thanks!

Hi Steve356
Neutral sound but is it warm? Both products are very analytically perfect. How would you describe the type of sound they emit together and what is your source, just out of interest? They're products I admire a lot and have always been on my desire list.

Thanks!
I've heard a pair of ATC SCM50's driven by a Lyngdorf 2170 as part of a dealer demonstration using a Yamaha S3000 CD player as a source.

The sound was highly detailed, clear, non-fatiguing, open and yes, neutral. All you heard was the music, not the speakers.

However, I found it to be a sound I admired rather than loved, one I respected rather than desired. And they definitely need a Subwoofer (or two) for Bass.

The other speakers I heard that day were the Bowers & Wilkins 804 D4 (which had much better Bass and were more dynamic, but dominated by the Diamond tweeter and quite fatiguing), and the Spendor D7.2 (which were wonderful and had the best qualities of the other two speakers - the speed and Bass of the B&W + the openness and detail of the ATC).

If you're looking for analysis then go ATC, but if you're looking for musical joy I'd recommend you add the Spendor D7.2 to your list.

Personally, I think the Spendor (D series if you can afford it, A series if you can't) would match better with your NAD/Marantz/Technics system and would be a huge jump in quality from your existing Tannoy's. I think you'd be more familiar and comfortable with their sound too, but get a dealer demo if you can so you can decide for yourself with your own music.

I have a Class D amp (Lyngdorf 3400) working with my ATCs (SCM 19V2). I find the sound to be superb. No issues at all.

And my C399 sounds pretty fantastic with the SCM40s.

I agree that you really need a PreAmp + PowerAmp. Curiously Preamps are more expensive than one might think.

There are many good candidates - what is your budget?

At the high end there are of course almost unlimited options.

An easy-to-recommend mid-range setup is the NAD C658 with streaming module, which has inputs for phono, CD, etc. and gives easy output to XLR for the 50s and RCA to a power amp to feed the passives. Add a power amp of your choice - ideally the NAD C298. Total cost a little over £3,000.

If you want to start with a less expensive solution and add components as you go then the Topping Pre90 + Ext90 will certainly get you started for much less. Around the £300 mark, but you would need to add streamer, phono stage, etc. You could do the whole lot for under £1,000, even £750. It wouldn't be as tidy, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test. Note that the Pre90 has a remote control which would be extremely important to me allowing you to switch everything you need to do from the comfort of the sofa.

Topping Pre90 + Ext90 (£300)
Allo Boss2 Streamer + DAC (£250) or even Wiim Mini (£90)
Behringer A800 amplifier (£250)
Pro-Ject Phono Box MM / MC (£90)

Last edited:
Hi Steve356

Thanks!

Yes it's a neutral sound, but it's a sound that I have yet to find fatiguing or boring or too analytic after over 2 years of listening to music virtually every day. I would just say that the system reflects what is on the disc (or stream). Definitely worth a trail at home if you can get one.

Source nowadays is mostly a Pioneer LX500 Universal Player and occasionally streaming via Apple Music (although I sometimes also use Tidal or Qobuz if they have a special price for a while).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom