1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATC speakers SCM 7

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gazzerr, Aug 15, 2002.

1. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about moving to smaller speakers for domestic harmony. M&K 85's are on my list but curious if anyone has heard the new ATC SCM 7 speakers which ATC have brought out in the Concept 1 package.:rolleyes:

The spec. is pretty much what I'm after e.g. wall mountable, sealed boxes with a wood veneer finish but hopefully big enough to avoid the usual satellite sound. ATC have a pretty limited distribution chain so it's not so easy for me to get an audition, hence wondering how hard I should try to get a demo..

Cheers,

2. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ATC fans out there?

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a pair of ATC Active 10's, which I believe use the same or very similar drivers to the SCM-7s (though in a slightly larger, much more reinforced cabinet, and with 250 watts of amplificatino on the back!) and they are some of the best standmount speakers I've ever heard.

I spent several months last year hunting for the perfect high-end standmounts, and after hearing literally dozens of different models from numerous companies, I discovered the ATC's and snapped them up immediately (which was lucky cos the price went up by £300 two weeks after i got them!) The only speakers that came close in terms of neutrality, detail, timing, and overall "naturalness" of sound for me were the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk. II's, but at £1300 for a passive pair (these things only sound their best with quality amplification, which i didn't have at the time), they were a bit much, and I actually preferred the sound of the ATC's overall.

So anyway, yeah, I haven't heard the SCM-7's myself, but going on the sound of the Active 10's, and ATC's reputation for quality sound (their main area of business is professional studio monitoring), they almost certainly sound fantastic. I'm sure for home cinema you'd need a quality subwoofer to fill out the bottom end, but I guarantee you they won't sound like "satellites" ;)

I would suggest you try your darnedest to audition a pair. :) Also give the AVI Neutron III's a listen, if you like a somewhat dry, detailed, analytical sound (as opposed to warm & fuzzy), and maybe the Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk. II's (though despite their small size they benefit from serious amplification and a fair bit of space...) And maybe Dynaudio Audience 42's? I'm not sure if they're small enough for you, but Dynaudio makes qualtiy speakers.

Anyway, hope that helps, and good luck. Also, if you do get the chance to hear them, let me know how the SCM-7's sound - I'm curious m'self as I'm considering getting a pair for surround duties (currently using Mission 77DS - may go for 7.1! :D )

Cheers,

Dunc

4. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunc,

Cheers for that.

I have also considered the Dynaudio 42W as a surround system. One of the mags just reviewed a 5:1 made up of 42's and it got a good report - if you believe those things.

It was ATC's reputation for the higher end stuff that got me looking at them as one would expect them to do a decent job of going down market.

I have just got to try and sell my current speakers first ;)

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nae bother mate. :)

One more thing. I noticed your sig says "ampless" - what amp were you planning on buying? I only ask 'cos all of the speakers I mentioned (except the Active 10's, natch ;) ) benefit from quality amplification. The SCM-7's and AE1's, in particular, thrive on power - the ATC's rated power handling is 300 watts! (The AE's is something similar.) Just something worth keeping in mind when making your choice.

Cheers,

Dunc