SirFrederick

Novice Member
Hello Everyone,

I've started the plans on my home theatre and have a moderately sized room (15x12x10 feet) available in my new home and wanted some advice about speakers.
I currently have a 2 channel setup with ATC SCM 40As (active speakers) and absolutely love them for their mids and overall clarity. I am toying with the idea going for a 5.2.4 setup initially, but am struggling with a few questions about speakers to add to my existing SCM 40s and was wondering if people had experience with the following:

1. Has anyone used active speakers in a home theatre setup? Would you ever consider having active left right and centre speakers with passive speakers for the rest of the speakers in a setup?
2. Does anyone have experience with ATC HTS speakers? I've read the reviews on the website for the HTS7s, but am wondering if it would make any sense to have HTS11s as rear and side surrounds paired with my fronts being my SCM40s or whether that is just silly and I would need to go full HTS line or SCM line.
3. Would anyone recommend I sell the SCM 40As and start from scratch with a different set of speakers/brand for the whole set up? My budget for the entire 5.2.4 setup would probably be 15-20k (just the speakers), but I would ideally like the fronts to be suited to 2 channel listening as I would use the room roughly 50-50 for music/home cinema.

Sorry for the meandering topic, just haven't been able to find anyone with these specific problems and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these sorts of things.
Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Plenty of folk have 'active' cinema systems.

Ideally if you have the space you would want a matching ATC SCM40A for Centre channel duties - assuming you can accommodate it, potentially easy enough if you are going with a projector and screen. You can use alternative cabinets for the Surround and Immersive channels.

The room and seating layout are key to decisions around loudspeaker choice and placement.

Joe

SirFrederick

Novice Member
Thank you that's very helpful.
I've always thought the best thing for the LCR is to have 3 of the same speakers, however I have no idea how one purchases a single floor standing speaker.
I think I would ideally like to have active speakers for the whole set up, but haven't seen much on here about people with active cinemas.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yep we have members with active cinema speakers (Neumann/Genelec etc) also one member mixed active+passive for some time, check few threads here and feel free to bump them or send PM to member if something in mind... :)

SirFrederick

Novice Member
Thank you so much for the advice.
I will look to see if there are other posts on using all active speakers for home theater.

speed1268

Hello Everyone,

I've started the plans on my home theatre and have a moderately sized room (15x12x10 feet) available in my new home and wanted some advice about speakers.
I currently have a 2 channel setup with ATC SCM 40As (active speakers) and absolutely love them for their mids and overall clarity. I am toying with the idea going for a 5.2.4 setup initially, but am struggling with a few questions about speakers to add to my existing SCM 40s and was wondering if people had experience with the following:

1. Has anyone used active speakers in a home theatre setup? Would you ever consider having active left right and centre speakers with passive speakers for the rest of the speakers in a setup?
2. Does anyone have experience with ATC HTS speakers? I've read the reviews on the website for the HTS7s, but am wondering if it would make any sense to have HTS11s as rear and side surrounds paired with my fronts being my SCM40s or whether that is just silly and I would need to go full HTS line or SCM line.
3. Would anyone recommend I sell the SCM 40As and start from scratch with a different set of speakers/brand for the whole set up? My budget for the entire 5.2.4 setup would probably be 15-20k (just the speakers), but I would ideally like the fronts to be suited to 2 channel listening as I would use the room roughly 50-50 for music/home cinema.

Sorry for the meandering topic, just haven't been able to find anyone with these specific problems and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these sorts of things.
Thanks!
Hi, Have just encountered your post. I have the passive 40’s and a C3C. I am now running this with an Audio Control amp the combo sounds great. For me the Centre is the most natural sounding one I have used and works superbly with the 40’s.
I am sure with your speakers and the now C4CA it would be stunning. As for Sub there are some great subs far cheaper than ATC I use a PSA which blends well giving awesome bass. As for sides and rears I have tried a normal speaker but I do prefer a dipole which give a good diffuse sound. Think though it depends on room size. The front 3 are ATC the rest are different but seem to integrate fine especially after DIRAC or ARC.
Regards speed

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom