1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atc Scm 12

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gazzerr, Oct 10, 2003.

1. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see that the ATC SCM 12 were the best speaker in the 1K to 2K range according to WHF. Has anyone heard them ? One thing that confused me is they recommend a free space positioning but as it's a sealed box I wouldn't have thought that it mattered. I would have expected them to be good for HC but a bit surprised that they reckon them for music too.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Any "Award winning" full-range speaker around £1000 should be able to do both & bloody well too. ATC make fantastic speakers, both active and passive.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    We heard the SCM 35 and SCM 7 speakers just the other day on demo. The SCM 12 were there but being used as rears in a AV setup.

To be blunt, the ones we did hear were brilliant. The SCM 7 was actually shockingly good for small speakers. Highly recommended for sure. The 12s by all accounts simply improve on them.

Where do you actually live? Damascus?:)

If you did live anywhere near Suffolk I'd send you to www.signals.demon.co.uk who are my local dealer and do ATC. Phone them for a chat anyway as they do deal nationally anyway and could be of help to you.

To give you an idea of how much I/we liked the passive ATC range, we may well be selling our current KEF REF speakers to go ATC. And we love KEF.:laugh:

4. RastaCat

RastaCat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo last weekend in Sheffield of the ATC Active 10s that I've heard so much about, and I really wanted to like them, but to be honest I thought they were well below average. :(

I wouldn't pay £165 for them, nevermind the £1650 they are listed at!!! :eek:

I then listened to Some Genelec HT206s (1030A) and was amazed. Now there is a company that knows how to make an active speaker.

RC

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I agree on the actives too. I'd heard them and it wasn't to my liking at all. It's the passive range you need to hear inmho. Different kettle of fish.

Just don't let Dunkyboy see this.:laugh:

6. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    General,

Really do live here so a trip to suffolk is not easy. What centre speaker will you being using? Are the 35's sealed boxes as well? What sort of discount can you get on ATC equipment.

Cheers

7. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more for the "against" camp I'm afraid. I heard the 12's and really didn't get on with them, and that was on the end of £3,700 of amp so power was fine (I think). I'd suggest (suprisingly :D ) Totem Model One's in the 1-2K bracket - £1600 worth of musical magic.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The centre speaker was a £750 model, but for the life of me couldn't tell the model number. Suffice to say it was pretty big and sounded very good. I'll let you know as soon as I find out more.

Yes, I think they are a sealed design as I asked about placement and was advised they're not too fussy.

I have no idea of deals available on them. Never owned any before. Only a dealer can help there.

Without trying to sound repetitive, e mail Signals. They deal all over. And if my geography is correct, even Syria shouldn't be a problem.:laugh:

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The only major problem I've found with ATC's in general is the "family sound" if you like,which can tend towards being a bit hard,and forward in some applications.
    Other than that,the build quality is excellent,and the power handling(both active and passive)is superb,with good clean bass.
    Generally very nice,although I much prefer the balance of Meridian's or Linn's actives.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Amplification seems to be of great importance. Naim kit goes very, very well with.

Parasound was a good match too.

Also a Densen power amp worked well.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very good point....many good speakers are let down by inadequate amplification getting close to clipping.
    First time I heard a set of Linn Keltiks,I was unfortunate to audition them with a quad-amped set of Linn LK140s,allegedly good for 100W x 4 per channel,and clipping set in with the volume control not much over half way...if I hadn't known the amps previously it may have put me off the speakers.

Parasound make some very nice,and under-rated amps.
    Naim,I must say,I dont like personally,having found them somewhat load intolerant.

12. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :suicide: :zonked:

Turn my back for one minute and what do I get for it? A dagger between the shoulder blades! Aaargh!

:D

Seriously, though, what didn't you like about the Actives? And what was different about the passives that you liked..?

With the price up to £1650, and seeing as I paid £995 for mine about 26 months ago, I'd consider selling them (quite possibly for a profit!) and taking a sideways move if someone could find me something even better! I wonder where I could demo some Genelecs way up here in Scotland... (hmm, my flatmate is half-Finnish... :D )

Dunc

13. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148

When are you gonna finish the other half off?

Adz

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The passives sounded easier on the ear. By comparison it wasn't as comfortable a listen when the actives were playing.

I believe the drivers are the same, so I'd put it down to choice of amplification and cabinet design.

15. RastaCat

RastaCat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

As I said in my earlier post, I really wanted to like the ATCs. Unfortunately I just couldn't get along with them at all. The demo kit consisted of a Lexicon DVD player, Naim CD player and the 3k ATC Pre-amp.

I thought the sound was dull, lifeless and lacked dynamics and clarity.

When they were eventually replaced with the Genelecs, the sound was transformed; full of life, detail and a certain sparkle that's hard to describe!

Try to audition the Genelecs, you might disagree with what I've said completely, each to their own and all that.

RC

**Edit - I've since heard the Mackie HR624s and found them to compare very well with the Genelec 1030s. And these are a hell of a lot cheaper than the ATCs and consumer version of the Genelec 1030A.**

16. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wow, dull and lifeless?? Was it the current version of the Active 10s you listened to (the SCM-10A-2), or the older one? I've heard criticisms like that about the older ones, but the current range are anything but! Sometimes seem to me a little bit too lively even...

I can sorta see where General Skanky's coming from with the "easy on the ear" comment - that seems conceivable (though it may have to do with the upstream electronics and room acoustics/positioning).

In any case, I'd very much like to hear some Genelec actives (would be interested in hearing the Mackies as well), but I don't know anywhere in Edinburgh (or elsewhere in Scotland!) that could do a demo of either brand... Anyone help me out?

Dunc

17. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Had our 2nd proper demo yesterday. Been hearing them on and off for a few months now. Definately buying SCM 35s. No doubt. Great speakers.

I hope to end up with 4 on main and surround, and the new centre speaker on demo there called the C3. No info on that yet. Basically it's a SCM12 with two mid/bass drivers + tweeter + box etc. No info on it yet as it's pretty new.

We listened again to the 7s aswell and really liked them. Ok, they're not going to rock your boat with bass, but otherwise they were fantastic little speakers. My father in law has Linn Kans that need replacing and I don't think he'll need to listen to many other speakers to know how good they are.

We also heard the Harbeth HL-Compact 7ES-2 speakers while there. Personally not my cup of tea. But it gave a basis of comparison to the 35s that just absolutely shone.

I can say that I genuinely had a smile on my face knowing what we'll be listening to in the future. With all types of music they were just (in a scouser accent) 'brilliant'. :D :D It's certainly made me go out and buy the Fun Lovin Criminals on CD. Had me nodding along in time. Great.:smashin:

18. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did you notice any problem with "timing" in the 35s? What Hifi reviewed them recently and knocked a star off because they didn't get timing right or some such nonsense (NOT the sort of thing you'd expect from an ATC loudspeaker!) Is there any truth in that or are they talking out of their backsides?

And was this last demo with the Primare amp?

Dunc

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Total rubbish. They were excellent. What HiFi reviewers need shooting imho. I personally couldn't fault them in any way. If anything, they give me the impression of being quite universal with amps.

I'll hopefully be borrowing a pair to try at home to confirm my thoughts, but I have heard them on 4 different amps and they've always performed brilliantly.

There will always be a person's musical taste to influence wether they like them or not, but certainly they can't be faulted on their abilities. I haven't seen that review but I do believe they love the 7 and 12, the 35 being their bigger brother with the same tweeter and either mid or bass driver design. If they been called Quad, I expect they'd be given 6 stars.:)

20. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I don't understand the review either. As you say, they loved the 7 and and 12 (the 12 has been right at the top of their speaker pile since the Awards '02 issue), but for some reason they didn't think the 35 lived up to its promise... It can't be a taste thang if they liked the 12 and 7 (the 35 presumably has a very similar sound?)

So it must either be that they didn't set it up properly (or used it in an unsuitable room), or there's something dodgy going on. Not sure which is more worrying...

Dunc