1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atc C2

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by General Skanky, Oct 22, 2004.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anyone heard one? What do you think?

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Skank, I actually had a C2 for about 8 months (before it blew up randomly and was replaced with a C4.....) I have a nightmarish room when it comes to the bass department (all sorts of nasty nulls, peaks and other evils) but even so the ATC was a stunning performer in music and was great for movies - as long as you didn't push it too hard with something LFE-tastic (I found THX mastered DVDs would often push the wee 9" driver beyond its limits at certain crazy-deep points when I had the volume up high). I think ATC need to look into adding a subsonic filter to their smaller subs, despite the potential sound quality issues...

But anyway, it's very dynamic, tight, and clean, and goes very deep cleanly for the spec (again, as long as you don't push it too hard). I also didn't have any trouble integrating it with my Active 10s despite the fairly limited x-over settings.

Of course, with only a 9" driver and 250-watt amp in a sealed cabinet, it's definitely not a super sub - even though the price might suggest otherwise! I got mine when it had only just been released and went for GBP1100, and at that price it was pretty good value, but for GBP2000 you can most likely find other subs that perform similarly with music and have a lot more uber-LFE capability. (2K quid is nearly Velo DD territory, and the recent offerings from B&W are reported to be excellent with music as well as movies, and all come in under 2K.)

So, all in all it's an excellent music sub (one of the best I've ever heard) but IMO too costly and not robust enough in the very-low-frequency-at-high-SPL department to be considered good value for money. If you're very picky about your system's bass performance for stereo music performance and don't need insane SPL then you should probably try and hear one (ideally in your own room) so you can see how good a sub can sound for music. But I suspect you'll find that there are too many other good subs at that price level for it to be worth it.

Dunc

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that Dunc. :smashin:

I do remember you telling me that before.

I would agree with that at £2000. It's just that I've found one at £995 and it's a 'consideration'.

Tbh though, I won't buy it even at that price as like you say, there are just far too many good subs from the likes of SVS, Velodyne etc that just crush it for performance.

I was really just fishing to see if anyone really did have one and love it.

Melochina bought a concept 2 package a while back and was hoping he'd comment.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Guy, you are more than welcome round at my place if you want to hear an SVS (not sure if you have yet).

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the offer, but I fear for my life if I bought a SVS sub.:laugh:

I'm looking for a cosmetic (but good sound) match to ATC, or a very discrete ie Velodyne spl MK II sub.

Still a way to go yet as we need a centre, sub, new projector and screen, and in the long term a really good processor.

We're also still setting things up to get them in the best compromise/sounding positions. I'm losing that one of course.:)

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well, even if an SVS is not a possibility for you, it might be worth having a listen just to use as a basis for comparison. It was only due to the fact that I had heard ragg's system that I knew what was missing from mine.

I'm going to hear rozzar's system in a few days with the intention that he comes to hear mine sometime next week, so if you fancy it, let me know.