1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATC active system C2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by meoldchina, Jun 26, 2004.

1. meoldchina

meoldchina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got this set up, I know its expensive 5K but with the ATC 10 & 20 it should be !

Like some comments please if anyone has even heard this set up working? :)

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Where do you live? My local dealer has them on demo a lot. www.signals.demon.co.uk

I have ATC 20s and ATC 10s. No centre or sub due to cost.

Naturally I'm a fan.

I am looking at an alternative to ATC as quite simply, the prices make it a very expensive option.

3. meoldchina

meoldchina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what do you think about both sets 10s & 20s active. Listen to the B&W 804 & 5
    but you need 2K on amps as well so Active or not is the question ?

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The 20 is substantially better than the 10. However, at £3300 vrs £1980 it should be.

The 20 is excellent for hifi and AV equally. Very dynamic and effortless. Once you settle with their sound, passives can sound muffled and limited. The 10s are the same, but on a smaller scale. However, I do quite like the 10s a lot (which I never used to until I lived with them). I've just put them on the front duties to see how they compare. Diminuitive in stature compared to the 20s, but they do a stirling job in trying to emulate them, imho making them a good little speaker.

The problem people have with the ATC 10 at almost £2K, is materially it doesn't look like you've got anything for your money. How they sound for £2K is therefore already in question. But in reality they are very good in their own right. Considering their quality pedigree, 6 year warranty, after sales service, good construction etc, I'd say it's money more than well spent.

The 20s on the other hand are big. Bigger mid/bass driver of a higher quality and a better tweeter. They sound best on open frame stands, and will fill a room easily. They are very, very capable speakers. The dynamic swings are incredible with a lovely clarity and ease of tune that is difficult to find elsewhere.

Partner with something like Naim and you'll love them.

I know we all have our opinions and preferences, but ATC as a whole sound good. The biggest hang up is the price, as they are becoming very expensive.

The 10s only cost £999 a couple of years ago. They are now double that. Are ATC worth it? I think so for now.

My snag is I want a full ATC set if the alternative actives don't work out, but I can only afford a set of 4 x 10s + the C2 centre. The 20s equivalent is just too much money for me.

As a side note, others have said that they don't think an ATC sub offers very good value for money. In that department you'd possibly be better off looking at something like SVS, Velodyne etc.

I did look at Genelec. Good kit too, but the ATC kit is a bit better on the WAF, but I'd say that's all.