Question At what price-point are UHD TVs giving the best value-for-money?

luckydutch90

Novice Member
I'm finally upgrading from my little 32" 720p TV which is terrible quality and far too small for my room and hoping to get a 50"/55" UHD TV to watch Netflix on but I'm struggling to reconcile at what price point I should be shopping at.

The general consensus seems to be that the £400 models aren't that good and don't do HDR well so I could spend more than that but how do I know whether I need a £1,000 TV vs a £800 one?

What price-point in that £400-£1,000 range gives the best bang for your buck?

I don't really want to spend much more than that as I'll also need to invest in a sound bar and it could get expensive!

Emc86

OK, thanks. Can you help me to qualify that a little further?

What features or improvements do you see at that price point vs say, £800 TVs?
$800 tvs not used that are the 2019 tvs are not the main line up of tvs the company has and can be missing all the good stuff advertised .

I think the 49 inch q60r is like 800$ ?

Q60r starts line up with VA panel ,less brightness,less colors

Q70r gets full array lighting and more colors and great qauilty picture.

The cheapest tvs are rated in the 70s and the higher priced tvs are rated in the 80s

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Depends on what you want from the TV.

You can get OK HDR around the £600+ mark. For the best HDR, all the TV's sit in the 1k+ category. 1k+ is basically premium TV territory.

To make 4k worth while you need at least OK HDR so something like a Samsung NU8xxx should be your bottom line.

Anything around 400 is going to be a fairly poor TV esp at larger sizes. These are TV's aimed at people who think they need/want a 4k TV but don't really understand/care about the tech behind it and will likely carry on watching poor quality broadcast TV on it.

My TV knowledge is pretty limited, but hopes that helps. Surprised you didn't get any others answers tbh..

Foster1984

It is because his question of "What price-point in that £400-£1,000 range gives the best bang for your buck?" is not enough information to give him a proper answer.

There isn't a 'this price is best', as each brand has various models across their ranges at different price points with different features; some of these features are not needed for some people and therefore paying extra for them doesn't equal bang for their buck, even if the TV is a good price for what it is.

We need to know what his budget is, how far he will be sat from it, what sort of environment he intends to view it in, what content he intends to watch if any other than Netflix, what other sources does he have, etc.

No good us recommending him to go buy a 65" OLED, when he intends to watch it from 3ft away in a conservatory...or vice versa, a 43" LED LCD when he will be sat 7ft away in a dark room, etc.

He needs to give us more information in order to give him actual model recommendations that suit his needs and budget.

Currently, all we know is he wants 50/55", 4K and Netflix. That encompasses just about every TV released these days, even the Tesco Technika line-up.