1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what Price a Scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jenz, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm toying with a business Idea regarding Scalers and would value some feedback. I have Spectre's clear to ask this so am hoping for some valuable feedback.

I have the chance to supply a very, very good scaler to the UK market which is fully supported and upgraded within the UK marketplace.

The Scaler is expected to retail in the sub £2750 price bracket and features an extensive list of capabilities.

However it has been expressed to me by several colleagues that the demand is not there for such a product at this price point and that the UK marketplace is therefore not viable. Particularly when some consider the HTPC to be a viable alternative (which I agree it is for certain applications only).

I'd be interested in your views on this and whether this is the kind of product you'd be interested in?

Regards Neil.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hi Jenz, I'll play Devil's Advocate!

I'd go further, I think the world marketplace for expensive scalers is becoming unviable. Within a year or two (and I'm speculating), we'll see consumer DVD players arriving with scaling capabilities built in (heck they are already here in the form of the Cinematrix mod). We already have consumer projectors with (admittedly limited as yet) built-in scalers as standard. Once these new players arrive, expensive stand alone scalers will only be sold to those who require their video, tv, etc to also be scaled, and to the high-enders - not too great a market.

At £2750 you are up against Vigatec (hmm!?), QS Elite, the new QS scaler (when it arrives), The Rock ain't much more and the upcoming Leeza. I don't think we yet another mid-range priced scaler, the markets already small as it is.

Whats needed is the "Amstrad PC" effect, cheap capable scalers for the consumer, high-end stuff is all very interesting to talk about but not many of us can afford them.

HTPC's are cheap but can be a hassle to get right, Cinematrix has had too much bad press to be mainstream, its only a matter of time until somebody jumps in and claims the low-price high-quality market for as long as it lasts.

Just my thoughts,
    Paul

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    For that price the scaler would need to support component, RGB (very important for the UK) and progressive scan inputs and so that it is able to compete against the Vigatec SDI or internal DVD player as standard.

Jeff