AT-VM95L/H v Ortofon 2M Blue

Perfect, you can have the two carts on different headshells and easily swap them over to compare. You may even find that you prefer different carts for different records or genres.

The Blue has arrived and I've been playing my most familiar LP's for the last hour. definite improvement on the Red. Bass seems tighter and the soundstage slightly wider. An audible improvement all round.

The VM95ML also arrives today. I'm going to leave the Blue on for a while before I set up the VM95ML as I want to get a proper feel for the Blue before comparing.

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the two cartridges. I think you will find the AT more to your liking.

On the Nagoaka MP200 that was mentioned: it may be 'just' an elliptical stylus but they sound sweet. Plus, elliptical means they are a littlle more tolerant with setup. Generally, the finer the type of stylus, the harder they are to setup correctly.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the two cartridges. I think you will find the AT more to your liking.

On the Nagoaka MP200 that was mentioned: it may be 'just' an elliptical stylus but they sound sweet. Plus, elliptical means they are a littlle more tolerant with setup. Generally, the finer the type of stylus, the harder they are to setup correctly.
I'm loving the Blue so far compared to the Red, but there's no doubt it does have a digital sound like gingersnaps alluded to. I do love the digital sound but from the TT I would like something different, hopefully the AM will provide that. Despite that I'm currently the happiest I have been with the sound coming from the TT so all is well :)

If you wanted to move the blue up a slight notch then it fits on the 2M silver cartridge (if you can find one) - Silver + Blue is the top of that particular tree (note silver stylus is the same as red) before jumping into the Bronze/Black line.

I had planned to leave the 2M Blue on for a couple of weeks before setting up the VM95ML but being the impatient fecker that I am I installed the VM95ML yesterday morning.

Now this is how I imagined vinyl would sound when I decided to get back into it. I say imagined because I have no point of reference, I only know one person with a decent system and he doesn’t have a turntable and back when I had records they were played on a Technics mini system.

The detail is superb but there’s now more depth to the sound, the instrument separation is better as is the sound stage. Over the moon with the VM95ML, I think it’s achieved the sound I wanted, the warm side of neutral.

I still think the 2M Blue is a decent cart and I’ll be keeping it as a spare but the 2M Red stylus will not be seeing the light of day on my TT again. Not that it’s utterly terrible but it’s just been trounced by both the 2M Blue and the VM95ML.

so glad I bought the version with the headshell as set-up was easy. It came at 52mm so need to even loosen a screw.

Last edited:
I had planned to leave the 2M Blue on for a couple of weeks before setting up the VM95ML but being the impatient fecker that I am I installed the VM95ML yesterday morning.

Now this is how I imagined vinyl would sound when I decided to get back into it. I say imagined because I have no point of reference, I only know one person with a decent system and he doesn’t have a turntable and back when I had records they were played on a Technics mini system.

The details is superb but there’s now more depth to the sound, the instrument separation is better as is the sound stage. Over the moon with the VM95ML, I think it’s achieved the sound I wanted, the warm side of neutral.

I still think the 2M Blue is a decent cart and I’ll be keeping it as a spare but the 2M Red stylus will not be seeing the light of day on my TT again. Not that it’s utterly terrible but it’s just been trounced by both the 2M Blue and the VM95ML.

so glad I bought the version with the headshell as set-up was easy. It came at 52mm so need to even loosen a screw.
Excellent! 😀

Great news, that seems to concur with most reviews, the Blue is a bit sterile but detailed and the AT doesn’t have the brightness that the older 440ML had but keep the detail. IMO the best bang for buck cart/stylus around giving the standard version can be had for £129 Or pick one up with 200hrs on the clock for £75ish off eBay. The other benefit is that the ML stylus should last 2-3 times longer (rated at 1000+ hours) than the elliptical Blue/Red and supposedly does less damage to the records. Win all round.

For info there is also a hack to fit the ML stylus to a Clear Audio Virtuoso cartridge that is supposed to be another step up the ladder and an alternative to the 540/740ML.

Last edited:
Great result. Enjoy!

I have to admit I’ve never been a fan of the Red after receiving one with my 1210mk2 when I got back into vinyl about 8 years or so ago. I found it generally underwhelming and it suffered from terrible IGD no matter what I did with set-up. I simply cannot fathom why they don’t supply the 1500C with a better cartridge.

Just one thought on the 2M Red... use it for first play of any second hand records you might buy? I use my old OM10 stylus for that, and it's saved me from a few heart-stopping clicks and thumps that I'd have hated to play with a more expensive stylus.

Just one thought on the 2M Red... use it for first play of any second hand records you might buy? I use my old OM10 stylus for that, and it's saved me from a few heart-stopping clicks and thumps that I'd have hated to play with a more expensive stylus.
That's a good idea, my only concern is that it requires effort, re-aligning, etc (which I might add is nowhere near as scary as I thought once you have done it a few times) :)

I'm not a delicate person in any way shape or form, I suspect that I will go through stylus's quicker than your average person. Already the stylus has shot across the middle label, I went to pick up the needle as on the odd record the auto lift doesn't work, must have knocked it somehow and much to my horror the needle shot across the middle of the record. I'm going to really try to be careful with this one.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, my only concern is that it requires effort, re-aligning, etc (which I might add is nowhere near as scary as I thought once you have done it a few times) :)
Nah, as long as the two carts are aligned the same in their headshells, all you need to do is swap them over and change the tracking force. (And swapping 2M stylus is the same - they're both aligned the same with respect to the cart).

Last edited:
Great result. Enjoy!

I have to admit I’ve never been a fan of the Red after receiving one with my 1210mk2 when I got back into vinyl about 8 years or so ago. I found it generally underwhelming and it suffered from terrible IGD no matter what I did with set-up. I simply cannot fathom why they don’t supply the 1500C with a better cartridge.
The IGD on the Red is really bad, better on the Blue, pretty much gone on the VM95ML.

Agreed, I'd have been happy to pay slightly more to have a decent cart installed, or slightly less to go off and buy one of my own choosing.

Agreed, I'd have been happy to pay slightly more to have a decent cart installed, or slightly less to go off and buy one of my own choosing
Me too. Not going to happen though. Ortofon sell a shed load of carts by making sure theirs is the default.

Good news about your cartridge. I thought you'd enjoy the AT. I have a 2M Red. It came with some other stuff I purchased. Even though new and with a few hours on it, I can't abide it. Like @oscroft, I use it for first time playing and groove cleaning.

Just thought I’d add I have the Technics SL-1500C and also was not impressed with the 2M Red, I swapped in a Blue for just a few minutes (had to be returned) and while it was better, still not quite what I get from the AT VM95ML. I’ve been very happy with AT VM95ML, it is quieter, smoother, to me more accurate while retaining all the detail. On this table the bass response is great, tight, and accurate. Love the way the midrange sounds and the imaging is amazing as well.

When I bought the SL-1500C the sales guys were pushing the 2M and recommended the black. I asked about the AT 95ML, 540, etc and they said they wouldn’t recommend it, that the 2M was much better suited to the Technics. Any idea why they would say this? I have never heard the 2M black, but I already had the 95ML at home mounted on a head shell. I’m really pleased with the performance, it’s a better needle (Nude Straight line vs elliptical) and costs quite a bit less than the 2M Blue! To me the 95ML sounds a lot better and is a great value!

Lastly, when I do want to upgrade from the AT VM95ML, what should I look at?
I’m using the iFi Zen Phono with a balanced connection to a fully differential Emotiva XSP-1 gen 2, then to an ATI Signature 4002 balanced dual mono amp. Current speakers are older Polk Audio RTI-150 that keep surprising me by sounding better then speakers I compare them to.

Just thought I’d add I have the Technics SL-1500C and also was not impressed with the 2M Red, I swapped in a Blue for just a few minutes (had to be returned) and while it was better, still not quite what I get from the AT VM95ML. I’ve been very happy with AT VM95ML, it is quieter, smoother, to me more accurate while retaining all the detail. On this table the bass response is great, tight, and accurate. Love the way the midrange sounds and the imaging is amazing as well.

When I bought the SL-1500C the sales guys were pushing the 2M and recommended the black. I asked about the AT 95ML, 540, etc and they said they wouldn’t recommend it, that the 2M was much better suited to the Technics. Any idea why they would say this? I have never heard the 2M black, but I already had the 95ML at home mounted on a head shell. I’m really pleased with the performance, it’s a better needle (Nude Straight line vs elliptical) and costs quite a bit less than the 2M Blue! To me the 95ML sounds a lot better and is a great value!

I’m using the iFi Zen Phono with a balanced connection to a fully differential Emotiva XSP-1 gen 2, then to an ATI Signature 4002 balanced dual mono amp. Current speakers are older Polk Audio RTI-150 that keep surprising me by sounding better then speakers I compare them to.

I hear the Ortofon 2M Black LVB model is exceptional. Supposedly, it is right up there with top of the range MM/ MI cartridges. I'd like to try one and compare it with the Nagaoka MP-500 and the new Vertere Sabre. I have an Audio Note UK IQ 3, for which I need a new stylus, but the cost of it would get me either of the Nagaoka or Vertere.

Haven't got one yet, but when my current cart runs out of puff, the Goldring 1042's getting a run. A legend by all accounts.

Haven't got one yet, but when my current cart runs out of puff, the Goldring 1042's getting a run. A legend by all accounts.
But for a few quid more there is the Goldring Eroica, as good as the 1042 is the Eroica takes music to another level.
This also depends how much you like the AT sound, because the Goldrings sound signature is so different especially the Eroica.

But for a few quid more there is the Goldring Eroica, as good as the 1042 is the Eroica takes music to another level.
This also depends how much you like the AT sound, because the Goldrings sound signature is so different especially the Eroica.
I wasn't really aware of it to be honest. Looks interesting, but it's also a fair amount more. I'm also slightly wary of high output MC, as I've never had one.

£75 more but does take your musical enjoyment to another level.
But it's poles apart from the AT sound but that shouldn't really be an issue. As I think it's good to have different sound signatures. As it changes how your system sounds and adds to the enjoyment.

Last edited:
Thanks, sounds like that would be right up my street but I had enough stress setting up the absurdly easy (once I worked out how ) 2M Red - anything fiddly with screws will drive me mad.

This VM95L ‘H’ comes with the headshell which I presume I can just attach on to the end of the arm?

I think the ‘H’ is just the VM95L with the headshell added; is that right?
I have the Nag-mp110, grado prestige Red3, 2M red and At95E already fitted to head shells, I change them over depending on my listening pleasure….it’s just a small weight/balance/skate tweak once fitted…….
the Grado is my go-to blues cartridge

The Goldring 1042 is an excellent cartridge. I have one and like it very much. Lately, I have been running a hybrid, consisting of a Audio Note UK IQ3 body fitted with the Goldring 1042 stylus. The combination is superb, and almost on a par with the IQ3. For anyone interested, the IQ3 stylus cannot be fitted to the 1042 body.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom