1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At our American members

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maverick177uk, Apr 26, 2005.

1. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Just a quick question on the DVD players you buy in the US do they come as multi-region as standard or like over here can you get different versions? The reason I ask is my parents are going to visit some friends in the states and want to take over a copy of Shameless as the version on US TV has all the swearing cut out (programme probably only last 5 mins then) just wondered if its worth them taking a chance?

2. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I get a lot of multi region requests from US chaps/chapettes so I would say that most players are locked to region 1.

Also, I would hazard a guess that most of their TVs only play NTSC material too so unless they have a specific DVD player that can output PAL as NTSC and is multi region, then I'd say it probably won't happen.

jsut my 2p worth tho.

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Having lived there when DVD first came out (and I was one of the early adopters, despite what now seems like ridiculous expense), up to about 4.5 years ago, there were no high street retailers who would sell a MR player - probably under pressure not to do so. There were a few companies that would modify for you, but in all cases the factory warranty was instantly voided, and they used to charge a hefty premium.

A possible alternative might be to check what DVD player they have and see if it is hackable via access buttons or remote. I would imagine the guts of the player would be same for equivalent models sold over here, otherwise the costs for developing US only machines might be prohibitive to the manufacturers. Failing this, maybe an el-cheapo portable MR machine (with or without screen) can be delivered as an early Xmas pressie, so you could then follow up with future UK release DVD's of TV shows that they may also want to watch. Shinco seem to be a good bet, and you can watch what you like on the plane over.......

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Here's a suggestion...
    You can buy a small DVD player (Durabrand) from Asda, it is £20, multivoltage, has TV standard choice and can be made multiregion. It weighs 720g measures 24x16x3 cm, use it and leave it there!

5. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Top suggestion GED I'll put it to them :thumbsup:

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In general, N. American players are locked for region 1 playback only. A variety of firmware and hardware mods can make them region free. More recent models seem to be better candidates for this. A number of cheap (sub 150$) players are available region free out of the box and/or with a few simple button pushes. Most of these do PAL to NTSC, though with various degrees of success. The Cambridge 540D is available in N. America--region free out of the box, with very good PAL to NTSC conversion (or the reverse, if you have a PAL display in N. America, for some reason).