At my wits end!!!!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by kbj242, Feb 3, 2009.

1. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    ...so Ive come here for advice.

I have installed the new PS3 Media Server on my (vista) PC. It has a wired connection to my PS3.

I just can't seem to get the PS3 to 'detect' the PS3MS....arrgghh ! I keep getting 'Media Server not detected' on my TV screen every time I scan for it.

So far Ive tried - disabling Windows Firewall, and my Norton Firewall. I've disabled 'Media Sharing' on WMP.

I am a bit of an IT novice so some simple (non-techy) advice would be sooooo appreciated.

Can anyone give me a simple step-by-step to getting this done ?

TIA, Glen

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Try forcing the network card and IP address of your PC in the General config tab of PMS.

I've also had problems if "Enable media library" is checked in the Navigation/Share tab. I prefer to manually add the folders i want to share anyway as you have more control of exactly what appears in the XMB then :smashin:

Oh, if the above doesn't work try changing the TCP port in the general tab from the default 5001 to something else (think I'm using 5005).

5001 conflicted with something else for me.

3. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks - will give that a try

4. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks to Uridim for the above notes - however - the problem remains, but also, PS3MS won't let me SAVE the details I puut into its 'general config' field....eg server IP address.

When I fire the PS3MS program I go straight into 'status' mode...it won't let me tweak the areas that Uridium mentions - then when I do go into the Genral Config tab - it won't let me 'save' .....

aarrgghhhh (again..)

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Sound slike a permissions error updating the PMS.conf file (usually at C:\program files\PS3 Media Server)

Are you running on Vista? If so right click the PMS.exe file and run as an administrator.

or you can manually update the PMS settings file in the location mentioned aboe and update the file there.

6. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,688
    also enable java(tm) platform se binary thru your firewall. also doesnt turning media sharing off in wmp turns it off in network and sharing center. :smashin: