At my wits end...Help with recording options

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Pompom2, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Pompom2

Pompom2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uggh, I have spent WAY too much time trying to get the movies from my minidv camcorder onto DVD's. There has to be an easier way. Can someone tell me how?..:lease: :lease:

I have a Panasonic GS35. I bought a stand alone LIte On DVD recorder. I just recorded a DVD-R/Memorex. It will not play in my DD's 2 year old TV/DVD player. It wont play on my laptop nor my desktop.

I recorded a CD-R through my USB/computer and it plays on my TIVO..:confused: but wont play on anyones DVD player.

Oh, and another thing. My playback on my camcorder shows horizontal blue lines. I bought a dry head cleaner and it seemed to do the job for a while.

At this point this is how I feel..:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

2. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    What software you using?

I use Ulead VideoStudio 10+ and its dead easy to use.
    Maybe you need to invest in some up to date software?

If you are using that, then i leave the floor open to a real expert.

3. twoodley

twoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I had a similar problem getting recordings to work until I started using DVD+R, and have never had a problem since.
    May be worth trying +R before you buy new software.

4. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think twoodley you are using a PC DVDrewriter? I say this as it is possible that your dvdrewriter is set to bookmark DVD+R's to DVD-ROM. This makes them compatable with virtually any DVD Player as the player thinks they are commercially recorded DVD's. I also had problems getting my DVD-R productions to play on some friends and family players until I learnt of this dodge on another forum and switched to using DVD+R's.

Unfortunately this cannot be done as far as I know with a STB DVDR which is what the OP is using. So DVD-R should be the most transportable media in this case. I am not sure about the reliability of Memorex DVD-R and would also suggest to the OP that he sticks to top quality Taiyo Uden, Verbatim, Maxell.

5. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Are you finalising the disks before trying them on another player?

6. Pompom2

Pompom2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never mind. I figured out how to finalize under disk tools for the standalone.

Woohoo, I just made a DVD of our Disney trip last September and it plays on all our DVD players so I am finally getting the hang of it.

Now I am wanting to jump into a DVD burner because all I could think about was editing my movie... Baby steps...LOL

Thank you all for your responses and help.

7. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Liteon writes +r, +rw media with no problems, assuming you are using good quality media of course!

8. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Alpine101 I think you misunderstood. Many including my own STB DVDR will write DVD+R's very successfully but STB's are not able to bookmark DVD+R as DVD-ROM. This capability is limited to some PC based DVD-Rewriters. Thus the very transportable version of DVD+R can only be produced AFAIK on a PC.

9. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by 'bookmark'. I see it's the booktype field referenced here:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150
    The article also gives the links to some tools to do this change.

10. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies for confusion in terminology. Thanks also for the link to the best description of this process I have read. The DVD Rewriter I have is a Philips as fitted I believe as standard by Dell. Although this article states that Philips drives do this automatically I appear to be able to switch it on and off using Nero Speed.

Using this procedure certainly removed the compatability problems I had with DVD-R.