At my wits end...Help with recording options

P

Pompom2

Guest
Uggh, I have spent WAY too much time trying to get the movies from my minidv camcorder onto DVD's. There has to be an easier way. Can someone tell me how?..:lease: :lease:

I have a Panasonic GS35. I bought a stand alone LIte On DVD recorder. I just recorded a DVD-R/Memorex. It will not play in my DD's 2 year old TV/DVD player. It wont play on my laptop nor my desktop.

I recorded a CD-R through my USB/computer and it plays on my TIVO..:confused: but wont play on anyones DVD player.

Oh, and another thing. My playback on my camcorder shows horizontal blue lines. I bought a dry head cleaner and it seemed to do the job for a while.

At this point this is how I feel..:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:
 

hot-fuzz

Well-known Member
What software you using?

I use Ulead VideoStudio 10+ and its dead easy to use.
Maybe you need to invest in some up to date software?

If you are using that, then i leave the floor open to a real expert.
 

twoodley

Active Member
Pompom2 said:
I have a Panasonic GS35. I bought a stand alone LIte On DVD recorder. I just recorded a DVD-R/Memorex. It will not play in my DD's 2 year old TV/DVD player. It wont play on my laptop nor my desktop.
I had a similar problem getting recordings to work until I started using DVD+R, and have never had a problem since.
May be worth trying +R before you buy new software.
 
A

Analogue

Guest
twoodley said:
I had a similar problem getting recordings to work until I started using DVD+R, and have never had a problem since.
May be worth trying +R before you buy new software.
I think twoodley you are using a PC DVDrewriter? I say this as it is possible that your dvdrewriter is set to bookmark DVD+R's to DVD-ROM. This makes them compatable with virtually any DVD Player as the player thinks they are commercially recorded DVD's. I also had problems getting my DVD-R productions to play on some friends and family players until I learnt of this dodge on another forum and switched to using DVD+R's.

Unfortunately this cannot be done as far as I know with a STB DVDR which is what the OP is using. So DVD-R should be the most transportable media in this case. I am not sure about the reliability of Memorex DVD-R and would also suggest to the OP that he sticks to top quality Taiyo Uden, Verbatim, Maxell.
 

klr10

Novice Member
Are you finalising the disks before trying them on another player?
 
P

Pompom2

Guest
Never mind. I figured out how to finalize under disk tools for the standalone.

Woohoo, I just made a DVD of our Disney trip last September and it plays on all our DVD players so I am finally getting the hang of it.

Now I am wanting to jump into a DVD burner because all I could think about was editing my movie... Baby steps...LOL

Thank you all for your responses and help.
 

alpine101

Novice Member
Analogue said:
I also had problems getting my DVD-R productions to play on some friends and family players until I learnt of this dodge on another forum and switched to using DVD+R's.

Unfortunately this cannot be done as far as I know with a STB DVDR which is what the OP is using.
The Liteon writes +r, +rw media with no problems, assuming you are using good quality media of course!
 
A

Analogue

Guest
alpine101 said:
The Liteon writes +r, +rw media with no problems, assuming you are using good quality media of course!
Sorry Alpine101 I think you misunderstood. Many including my own STB DVDR will write DVD+R's very successfully but STB's are not able to bookmark DVD+R as DVD-ROM. This capability is limited to some PC based DVD-Rewriters. Thus the very transportable version of DVD+R can only be produced AFAIK on a PC.
 

alpine101

Novice Member
Analogue said:
Sorry Alpine101 I think you misunderstood. Many including my own STB DVDR will write DVD+R's very successfully but STB's are not able to bookmark DVD+R as DVD-ROM. This capability is limited to some PC based DVD-Rewriters. Thus the very transportable version of DVD+R can only be produced AFAIK on a PC.
Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by 'bookmark'. I see it's the booktype field referenced here:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150
The article also gives the links to some tools to do this change.
 
A

Analogue

Guest
alpine101 said:
Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by 'bookmark'. I see it's the booktype field referenced here:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150
The article also gives the links to some tools to do this change.
My apologies for confusion in terminology. Thanks also for the link to the best description of this process I have read. The DVD Rewriter I have is a Philips as fitted I believe as standard by Dell. Although this article states that Philips drives do this automatically I appear to be able to switch it on and off using Nero Speed.

Using this procedure certainly removed the compatability problems I had with DVD-R.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom