AT-LP120XUSB volume help

serpico77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new turntable.
At the moment I have Lenco-L85 so most will be an upgrade.

I have been looking at a few online and I am unsure what to go for.

AT-LP2X
AT-LP3
AT-LP120XUSB
Sony PSLX310BT
Sony PSHX500

also some older ones
Technics SL-D20
Pioneer PL300X

I am looking to spend maybe max of £250-£300.

Please recommend any others or even ones not to buy.

Thanks

Something from Rega or Project??
Previously owned a Project Debut Carbon, now with my brother.
Was happy with it, but regret no real experience of comparing it to much else apart from the Rega I now own.
The Project seems to be around the £300 mark (cheapest I can see is £279). This includes cartridge (Ortofon red).

Something from Rega or Project??
Previously owned a Project Debut Carbon, now with my brother.
Was happy with it, but regret no real experience of comparing it to much else apart from the Rega I now own.
The Project seems to be around the £300 mark (cheapest I can see is £279). This includes cartridge (Ortofon red).
I looked at the Project but having to change the belt when changing between 33/45 that would bug me.

Fair enough.
Both my TTs have been like this.
I guess it really isn’t an issue for me as I have only 33s.
Good luck.
What Rega do you own and you happy with it? Is it belt drive or direct drive?

I upgraded from the AT-LP3 to the Rega Planar 1 and it was an upgrade, really happy with it...I thought changing the belt would be annoying but it really isn't.

Without doing any searching you can pick one up for £299, possibly less if you look around....you might need a pre amp though.

I upgraded from the AT-LP3 to the Rega Planar 1 and it was an upgrade, really happy with it...I thought changing the belt would be annoying but it really isn't.

Without doing any searching you can pick one up for £299, possibly less if you look around....you might need a pre amp though.
Whats the LP3 like, do you still have it?
I will read up on Rega one

I wouldn't bother with the lp3, or the lp2 for that matter, my brother got one a few months ago and it suffers really bad acoustic feedback. Better to go for either the Rega P1 or project T1, both will be miles better than the plasticy cheaply made Audio Technica's.

Rega Planar 3 which I only purchased about two weeks ago. Initial impressions are very favourable but I’ve probably only played about 5 albums so far.
I’ve installed an Audio Technica cartridge.
Belt drive.

Whats the LP3 like, do you still have it?
I will read up on Rega one
Still have it, but not gone back to it since I got the Rega.

The LP3 was okay, but always felt lacking hence I got the Rega, just wish I spent the money on that in the first place and skipped the LP3.

Still have it, but not gone back to it since I got the Rega.

The LP3 was okay, but always felt lacking hence I got the Rega, just wish I spent the money on that in the first place and skipped the LP3.
intersted in selling if white?

I looked at the Project but having to change the belt when changing between 33/45 that would bug me.

This only applies to very basic models.

If you looked at the T1 Phono SB for example, it has speed control.
As does the Debut Carbon Evo, the Debut Pro, X1, X2 etc.....

The Phono SB is where I'd be spending my budget but with turntables, the more you spend up front, the better the longer term experience.

If budget can stretch to the Debut Carbon Evo - you've got a scalable, upgradable and great sounding turntable that supports MM/MC cartridges, has speed control and some modern features :)

Lee

In the end i went for the AT-LP120XUSB just a little over £200 new from richer sounds.

I know it's not top range but it was in my budget and will do for next couple of years.

My daughter has started collecting vinyl so she will probably end up with it if I decide to upgrade so all good.

So my turntable turned up an hour ago and its all set up and I must say the build, the look and sound is quality only thing I find a little annoying is the volume is much lower than the turntable I was using before (Lenco L-85). I have to turn the volume up much more than I did when I was using that.

Any suggestions?

Have you set the phono/line output switch to match the input you are using on your un-named amp?

Have you set the phono/line output switch to match the input you are using on your un-named amp?
Yes I have set it to line as my amp doesn't have phono, Im using Sony STRDH790

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom