At lasten a worthwhile alternative to the meaningless friendly?

Oh great. Another meaningless tourno which will mean even more 'international breaks' which interrupt the flow of the Premier League and on top of that, our top players more at risk of becoming crocked.

Sick of international football tbh, we should focus on tidying our own backyard more than thinking we can sweep Europe or the world.

I don't watch much club football, it doesn't interest me as there are far too many foreign prima donnas playing when there should only be a max of 5 per match.International football should be promoted far more and I think these mini-tournaments could be a step in the right direction provided the players take them seriously enough.It's about pride in one's country as it was for many years before ie the same kind of pride that exists within German, French Italian Spanish etc players.

Oh great. Another meaningless tourno which will mean even more 'international breaks' which interrupt the flow of the Premier League and on top of that, our top players more at risk of becoming crocked.

Sick of international football tbh, we should focus on tidying our own backyard more than thinking we can sweep Europe or the world.

Indeed more fixture congestion is just what the clubs don’t need. Unless the FA acts in the interests of both the national team and the clubs, rather than themselves and the television companies, to ensure that players don’t burn out before the tournaments.

The clubs will have to adapt by using a rotation system.Given the size of their squads that should not be at all difficult.At the end of the day, it's about prioritising the needs of the international game over the club alternative

There won’t be any additional games - the matches replace friendlies that would have been scheduled.

I think instead of starting a thread for every discussion we should stick to the General Football thread thing.

:thumbsup:

I think instead of starting a thread for every discussion we should stick to the General Football thread thing.

:thumbsup:

Can we have a new thread to discuss this option ?

The clubs will have to adapt by using a rotation system.Given the size of their squads that should not be at all difficult.At the end of the day, it's about prioritising the needs of the international game over the club alternative
And will the international team pay the player's wages if he gets injured on international duty? Will the country fund a replacement if there is a long term injury?

Players are assets for their clubs: the amount of money at stake means the clubs are almost obliged to be selfish.

Club football is better quality, more watchable and more accessible than international football; the champions league (and even Europa league) are far better quality.

And will the international team pay the player's wages if he gets injured on international duty? Will the country fund a replacement if there is a long term injury?

Players are assets for their clubs: the amount of money at stake means the clubs are almost obliged to be selfish.

Club football is better quality, more watchable and more accessible than international football; the champions league (and even Europa league) are far better quality.

as in all major sports, it is the international aspect that is most important hence why there is so much interest in international competitions.Even people who have little interest in football show some when there is a WC on. Club football has become a sad parody with too much money being thrown at players and the Premiership clubs now mostly owned by foreigners, have lowered the game in this country by turning it into some kind of foreign legion competition.They have ripped the soul and very essence of what should be an English competition played, mainly, by English players.
Frankly, I can't be bothered with it anymore .As to who pays the wages is of little importance to me.The clubs have a duty to produce the players for the national side with the right skills levels as and when required, Ideally they would be on centralised contracts and leased back to the clubs to play no more than 25 or 30 clubs games per season. .The rest of their and time should be dedicated to the England cause and the aim should be to develop the world's greatest international team capable of winning as many championships as any major nation, Brazil and Germany in particular.No stone should be left unturned in that pursuit and the clubs must be made aware that they would always be subservient to the national cause, in fact, sanctions should be applied should they renege on their duty. Heavy fines or taking points on the table off them should help to concentrate minds

as in all major sports, it is the international aspect that is most important hence why there is so much interest in international competitions.Even people who have little interest in football show some when there is a WC on. Club football has become a sad parody with too much money being thrown at players and the Premiership clubs now mostly owned by foreigners, have lowered the game in this country by turning it into some kind of foreign legion competition.They have ripped the soul and very essence of what should be an English competition played, mainly, by English players.
Frankly, I can't be bothered with it anymore .As to who pays the wages is of little importance to me.The clubs have a duty to produce the players for the national side with the right skills levels as and when required, Ideally they would be on centralised contracts and leased back to the clubs to play no more than 25 or 30 clubs games per season. .The rest of their and time should be dedicated to the England cause and the aim should be to develop the world's greatest international team capable of winning as many championships as any major nation, Brazil and Germany in particular.No stone should be left unturned in that pursuit and the clubs must be made aware that they would always be subservient to the national cause, in fact, sanctions should be applied should they renege on their duty. Heavy fines or taking points on the table off them should help to concentrate minds
In my opinion football is one of the few (only) major sports where the club game is better quality than the international version.

Few clubs in any country support their national side ahead of their own interests. Other FAs have better structures and pathways to promote development; the English FA is a corrupt mess and, in my personal view, should be disbanded.

English football would be dreadful without the TOP players who join the premier league. The real issue is the bang average players who join league 1 or 2 clubs who then force local/English players further down the pyramid.

In my opinion football is one of the few (only) major sports where the club game is better quality than the international version.

Few clubs in any country support their national side ahead of their own interests. Other FAs have better structures and pathways to promote development; the English FA is a corrupt mess and, in my personal view, should be disbanded.

English football would be dreadful without the TOP players who join the premier league. The real issue is the bang average players who join league 1 or 2 clubs who then force local/English players further down the pyramid.
well, it is always a matter of opinion but for me, it is a matter of national pride and the fact I much prefer watching international football where the prime motivating force is not money but a desire to represent one's country to the best of ones ability.That is how it was in this country for many years but the premiership has severely undermined something which most fans would give their right arms to be able to do.
I am not against a foreign presence on our football pitches but I am utterly against foreign owners and the fact there are way too many foreign players.Back in the 90s, they had it about right in as much as there were maybe 2-3 players for each match that was not British/Irish.They added something different which had not existed before and in that sense were very welcome.Unfortunately, now it has become a joke and I find myself trying to spot the English player in each game.Young English talent is rarely given a chance as short-term expediency driven by the desire for results dominates thinking. In that regard, no other country is as bad as this one.Germany would never tolerate that .They put international football at the top of their requirements and created a system whereby young players could flourish.I very much doubt many German football fans would accept what has happened here.
As for the FA, it is not the fact that it exists which is wrong but that it simply does not have enough authority over the game at large.It should have total control of the Premiership the Championship and all other aspects of the game at national and international level.That is not to say it is above criticism because like all such bodies it is populated by unaccountable "blazers" who invariably make bad decisions and it is that unaccountability which needs to change.
As for club matches, I only ever watch them to see how the English players are performing.In particular the likes of Spurs, managed by a man who is not afraid to give English players opportunities

I have no pride at all in the England team. I closely follow the England cricket team, so it isn't about 'nationalism' or the like, its about quality, attitude and attractiveness.

Quite simply, English players aren't good enough. The coaching structure and practices in this country are antiquated (at best) and don't develop the right skills and attributes for top level football. English players tend to be 'athletes' who have 'good engines' and don't possess the creativity, flair and awareness to really influence games. Hence why foreign players are recruited to fill that skills gap. Coupled with the attitude that pervades the game of "the fancy dan doesn't like it up him", "let him know you are there", etc. the game in this country will never progress beyond its current level.

That leads to the problems England suffer in midfield: functional players who can win the ball and 'recycle' it to a better/more creative player e.g. Dier/Winks win it and give it to Eriksen, Henderson gives it Firmino/Coutinho, etc. but in the England team if Dier gives it to Henderson essentially he doesn't know what to do apart from 'recycle it back'. There are very few English players who can change a game with a piece of individual brilliance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom