1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At last, something better than X10

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Pootle, May 12, 2004.

1. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For those of you who find X10 a hopeless system, it looks like the answer is close to arriving:
    zwave products

I have some X10 stuff, but it is hoplessly unreliable in my house - I'd need to suppress about 12 appliances, and even then there is no guaranatee it would work. It won't even reliably control lights in the next room if they are on different circuits to the control box.

zwave uses Radio to communicate - and each zwave device can pass on commands to others if direct communication isn't working.

So far for the UK market they only have the light control in this catalogue, the US parts also have an appliance module.

2. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ive tried this kit.. works Very well indeed. would recommend it. checkout www.homeseer.com

Kev

3. Dean Roddey

Dean Roddey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are, unfortunately, taking a very 'uppity' attitude towards support of their product. They actually are charging a few thousand bucks just to get information on the USB protocol between a control system and the Z-wave controller, i.e. just so we can get a piece of paper and then do a lot of work to help them expand their market. This is pretty ridiculous, and if they had any sense they would be doing everything that they can to encourage control system vendors to support their product, not to raise barriers to them.

With that kind of attitude, and given that there are almost certainly other companies out there looking to create similar systems based on more standard IP/wireless technology (i.e. less proprietary), they could have trouble in the not too distant future. If they would change their attitude now and make sure that every control system out there could easily support their product, they would be dominant before anyone else could even get up to the starting line.

It doesn't seem likely to me that many open systems will support this standard with the cost that high just to get interfacing information. And even for those commercial systems that are looking to keep prices low, that cost might not be justifiable given that they aren't currently widely enough used to drive even enough new sales to make up for the price paid for the interfacing information.

And what makes it even more stupid is that it will just encourage people to try to hack the protocol and put out drivers based on less than full information.

4. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I see what you mean, usual dumb-ass americans got no idea how to get a standard to take off in the market.

They probably sold the interface to homeseer et al. for lots of money.

I think they really need two more devices - 1 with a standard 5v output for controlling commercial dimming systems - I have 2 X 400 watt toriodal transformers driving the lights in the living room, and I can't control them with X10 at any price, but I can get a commercial dimmer with a 5V input to do it. And a proper power switch that can cope with nasty loads.

The thing that worries me is that the addressable limit is so low - less than 256 units. I could get to way over 100 today if I monitored all the fittings in the house together with the alarm system. I can see this limit very quickly becoming a severe restriction.

I'm not so sure about the alternatives - WiFi based stuff has a MUCH higher power consumption and signal strength, so I think this approach has a lot going for it.

There is talk in a few places of an API, but no evidence of any documentations. Perhaps though if the intel thing actually takes off things will get better.

They worrying thing is that zensys seem to be trying to hijack the standard from their attitidude

5. Dean Roddey

Dean Roddey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, though it's not always obvious just from what you see about the product, Zen-Sys is actually in like Norway or Denmark or thereabouts.