At last my herringbone interference solved

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of you may remember I was plagued with herringbone interference on the capture side of my HTPC.

Tried many things: new RGB to svideo convertor , new mains leads , RA filter contraptions , 4 different capture cards (including a falcon). Interference varied but never really went away entirely.

Just replaced the 5m svideo lead (lektropacks) with a new one (Ixos) ....no more herringbone. The intermittent nature of the interference and the supposedly good quality of the lektropacks cable dissuaded me from assuming the cable was the culpret.

Just goes to show never assume anything.

prolink: main problem is the cable seems to have a shared ground rather than seperate grounds for both luma and chroma which the Ixos replacement has.

What is the model number of the Ixos lead?

Thanks.

Steve.

Keith, does that mean you now finally have a clear pb tv-100 picture, three psu's down the line or something like that?

Well done in sorting it.
Rob.

Mr.D wrote:
Tried many things: new RGB to svideo convertor , new mains leads , RA filter contraptions , 4 different capture cards (including a falcon). Interference varied but never really went away entirely.

Keith, you say "including falcon".
Is there anything special or wrong with it. They simply use bt848/878 on its best.

could you please enlighten me here :)
Garry

The Falcon is a pro survalance card rather than a TV capture card, its's probably one of the best BT8x8 cards on the market and has the price to match. The newer Connexant and Philips based cards tend to be better though.

Jeff,

Do you know if the new Philips cards will accept the PDI mod that Li on is doing?

The Falcon was definitely a step above the other bt8x8 cards I had and also seemed a bit more accurate with regard to calibration aims than the other cards but the newer cards with the later chips are better: certainly in the case of the Xcapture I'm using. The Falcon might have a possible use with a diy PDI as I beleive it has the right connector availabel for modding.

I'll have a look at the PB TV100 when I get the time for comparisson. Even though I'm using Dscaler 4.1.7 I still found some calibration issues with it but I'll do a proper appraisal some time soon.

The Ixos lead was the green coloured one can't remember the code off hand. It was about the same price as the custom made prolink one from lektropacks that it replaced ( now in my scrap bin).

Jeff, Keith,
I asked this because I work with IDS cards on professional base since almost six years ago. It started full of bugs with Bt848 and driver software 2.5 and is now with driver 4.2 (I think 4.20.0016 is the latest issue) almost perfect.

However, newer chips must be better, of course, but SDK from Bt878 and SDK offered from IDS are really untouchable.

I had a Lektropacks 9 m custom SVideo cable made, and it had the exact same problem!
I was using a Prowire 10 m SVideo cable and thought the Letropacks highest grade cable would be better.
WRONG!
I was shocked by the herringbone patterning.
I should have sent it back, but it wasn't worth the hassle.
We live and learn...:suicide:

Yep they just lost a customer thats for sure.

Just be thankful you didn't install Lektropacks svideo cable in your dedicated room before plastering ... argggggggghhhhh :(

Fortunately, I'm only using Component and PC VGA signals now :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom