At last... it's up and running, and Chris Frost has done the business!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by drago.d, Dec 29, 2006.

1. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, five years after acting on impulse and purchasing an ex-demo Seleco 500, it's finally been installed!!!
    Three architects, three planning applications, one planning appeal and several amendments later, the extension to Chez Drago has finally gone ahead and allowed the projector to be brought out to play :thumbsup:

I must extend my gratitude to Chris Frost for his time, patience, skill and bloody-mindedness to get the install finished by working through the night (literally till 07:30 :eek: ) in order to leave us with a (very) watchable picture to enjoy over Christmas. As the builders walked back in to start another day, he was beginning to pack up his kit to then go on to do a day's work :suicide:
    And he was trying to ignore the fact that he has a stinking cold and felt cr*p.

To watch him go through the process of dialling in the geometry, focus and convergence is to see someone so skilled that they make the impossibly complex seem so easy. Chris, you have my utmost respect.

Not only did he do the physical install, but he also constructed a custom bracket to mount the projector flush to the ceiling (Mrs Drago wasn't impressed with the standard Seleco mount, which leaves a 75mm gap between the ceiling and pj, hence the decision to flush mount)...instant 3" more headroom (and many brownie points, Chris). He also was most helpful with advice on the screen size & material, even though he wasn't supplying it. (which is, btw, Beamax Electric Tab Tensioned 210 x 118cm visible, screen gain 1.5, and very good it is too...very flat and no colour shift apparent. There's also 1.2 gain which isn't mentioned on their website :oops:)
    Chris was sent a sample of both surfaces prior to my install, and he reckons the actual gain might not be quite as high as the numbers suggest, but the resulting image is excellent.

I can't wait for Chris to return to the London area in the New Year, as he has a few more tricks and tweaks up his sleeve to coax the "n"th degree of performance out of the 500. In the meantime, we are highly delighted with our "new" toy, and boy, doesn't the plasma now look small? :D

Chris, thank-you and see you soon,

drago.d
    (now a CRT'er)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Chris is the Seleco GOD. Part of the key to all this is to get the right folk to do the right work. You picked well. Bet it's great.

Gordon

3. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    And I bet the plasma looks a mess in comparison too.

I fell into crt a few months ago and it has prompted a complete system overhaul as a result, even a rebuild, photos to follow.

Let 's have a look at the install!

Congrats and welcome aboard.

Chris

4. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually, although the plasma doesn't look that big any more, it's now being fed 720p/50Hz from the iScan VP30 via HDMI, so it looks just as good if not a tad better than ever (wish the Pioneer would allow native rate, though, and not at 72Hz :thumbsdow )

cheers

drago.d