At last I am proud to live in Telford

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - The Most Godless Town in Britain
Jolyon Jenkins follows the work of a missionary sent by the Church of England to 'redeem' the residents of the Shropshire town of Telford, which has the lowest per capita church attendance in Britain.
Jolyon Jenkins will be told to get orf my laaand if he/she comes anywhere near our house.
Telford has got to be one of the dullest places to live. Frankie Boyle couldn't find it on his prop 'book of places' he uses to localise his gags.
Thomas Telford. The Iron Bridge. Yawn.
At last we have something to be proud of. But is our lack of interest in the church one of sensible non belief or just plain laziness?
Still it worries me that a whole 10% of people round here buy into that god nonsense.

don't you think people who go on about god not existing are just as bad as people who do go on about it existing constantly. ( and i am not comparing them to people who murder in the name of religion either)

I suspect living in Telford would probably cause anybody to lose their faith. In anything.

However, I for one will never tire of reading/discussing/cheering on good old fashioned militant atheism. :smashin:

:boring::boring::boring::boring:

Jolyon Jenkins will be told to get orf my laaand if he/she comes anywhere near our house.
Jolyon's just the presenter/producer, its Mark who you might take issue with.

Presumably recorded a while back since it airs tomorrow ... you missed a chance to express yourself and perhaps a sneaky plug for AVF there
Jolyon Jenkins follows the work of a missionary sent by the Church of England to 'redeem' the residents of the Shropshire town of Telford, which has the lowest per capita church attendance in Britain.

Mark Berry, from the Church Mission Society, hopes to tap into the huge number of people who now describe themselves as 'spiritual but not religious', and sets out to compete with reiki healers, gong therapists and the local football club for the town's attentions.

What does "spritual but not religious" mean?

You can't stop seeing Bruce Willis

Does telford have any churches? Isnt most of it a 'new town'?

I wish Wrexham had less churches as you cant move for 'god botherers'* on sunday mornings around where I live

* Not meant to cause offense to said botherers but my opinion.

Personally I find atheists who try and promote "godlessness", just as bad if not worse than the Jehovah's witnesses who bother me every weekend.

Personally I find atheists who try and promote "godlessness", just as bad if not worse than the Jehovah's witnesses who bother me every weekend.

Put wife wife up for a couple of weekends, and believe me you wont be bothered be Jehovah's witnesses again..:devil:

I'm all up for discussion on the topic of God, but not about religion. Religion is just different ways that we worship/acknowledge there is a God. Many different religions, for many different beliefs, for many different people.

You want to believe in God? Fine by me.

You don't believe in God? Fine by me.

Either way I'm not fussed, but I respect your beliefs.

Is it my imagination or does the forum's owner now start a thread on the same subject on a monthly basis :(

Is it my imagination or does the forum's owner now start a thread on the same subject on a monthly basis :(

and long may it continue:devil:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will see if I can get some of my Catholic/Gypsy cousins to visit Telford, it sounds like it needs livening up a bit.

Telford also has one of the highest rate of teenage pregnancies in Europe and overall I think that I would prefer to live in an area where my teenage daughters were more likely to going to church than shagging anything with a pulse.

Telford and Wrekin has a younger population than the national profile. Although, deprivation overall is lower than average, some wards are very deprived. It experiences a significantly higher rate of violent crime than the national figure with almost 3400 incidents reported in a single year. The rate of elderly supported to live independently is the significantly higher than the national.

• Trend Chart 1 indicates that both male and female life expectancies have increased since 1995-97, with female life expectancy now significantly lower than the national figure.

• Trend Chart 2 shows that although deaths from heart disease and stroke have been decreasing over time, the rate remains significantly higher than the national average

• Self reported health is significant worse than the national average; approximately 1 in 11 adults surveyed reported feeling in poor health

• Estimates suggest that the percentages of adults who smoke and eat unhealthily are worse than the national average. However, regional survey data does not confirm this.

• The rate of teenage pregnancy is significantly high, approximately 1 in 17 under 18s become pregnant.

• Other areas of concern where figures are significantly higher from the national average are dental decay in the under 5s and smoking related deaths

1 in 17! - Blimey. Don't they have any chemists over there?

Sure they do, but then where would they get a council flat and dole money for life ?

Oops, forgot the child benefit and Tax Credit as well.

After seeing all the threads Stuart Wright has started about this sort of thing I'm now convinced that Atheism is a religion. Which must make Stuart some sort of AntiPope.
Perhaps we can all club together and buy him a shoulder brush :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom