At Last - ASW750 Arrived!

Stellavision

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After waiting for two weeks I finally collected my B&W ASW-750 today. I'm not going to go into a full review or anything, but just wanted to say I'm totally chuffed with it!
It's dimensions on paper are'nt that much different to the ASW675 but the reality is that this thing looks huge in comparison. It's also extremely heavy too, helped by the 1KW on board amp I'm sure!
My neighbours have been in this afternoon so I have not unleashed it fully yet, and I will try and keep it moderate anyway until it is run in a little.
I did do a bit of testing with music via the MTV channels and was totally blown away by how well this thing can blend with my Kefs while retaining a clear and punchy bass.
I also did my obligatory test with Attack of the clones and was amazed by the power exhibited without breaking a sweat. I had to turn off quickly through paranoya, aided by the retained thought that my neighbour had thisafternon watched me get the giant box out of my car with a concerned look!

Rags, you must be some sort of mentalist getting two of these!!!:D

Quick question: Whats the white powdery looking stuff on the rubber round the driver?

Originally posted by Stellavision
Whats the white powdery looking stuff on the rubber round the driver?

I think your B&W was probably imported from Colombia :D

Yup I told you !

I have heard quite a few subs now and although it doesnt go as low as some it's low enough in my opinion However nothing (and that includes a Velo DD18 - please dont slate me for this it's just my experience) offers the sheer slam / punch that this thing delivers. There are two scenes in Monsters inc that simply dont sound / feel the same to me with any other sub I have tried. I still havent heard a PB2+ yet but Matt should be taking care of that shortly.

Stellavision - not sure about the white powder mate but probably just some factory overhang. If you think it sounds good now just wait till it loosens up (give it a couple of months)

Also in my room there is not a hint of boom however much you stretch it.

Originally posted by stevegreen
Whats your other equipment Barrie?
Kef KHT 9000 Fronts and centre.
Mission M7D surrounds (X4)
Pioneer VSX-D2011
Toshiba 520E DVD
Hitachi 32PD3000 Plasma
Ntl Digital
:)

Barrie- I feel you need two of these babies. Dont keep on shortchanging yourself in life - just forget about the neighbours !:D

I placed my order for two of these today.

3 750's?

No Jeff - calm down mate :D

Sold the maple 750 (colour issue) I already had to make way for the two now on order

Originally posted by Jeff
3 750's?
I believe Rags just sold his existing 750 in maple and is buying two in black to replace it.

I will be watching closely to see how you compare 2 of them after running one for a while.
I think one is ample for me at the minute.:)

I did wonder :D I will be interesting to see how you get on with 2 subs, it can get a bit tricky.

Yeah I heard about the tricky bit but am willing to give it a try. If it's not successful then expect another two ads in the classifieds :( and ill swap for a single ASW850.

Contrary to rumours the white powder is just a mould release agent to stop the rubber cone surround being sticky. Probably something like chalk or talc. As used on bicycle repair patches to stop the innertube from sticking to the inside of the tire. I expect the powder will slowly disappear during normal use as the rubber surround flexes. Ignore it and ENJOY! :D

Nimby

Originally posted by Godfather
How big is your room rags and where are you going to put the twin subs?

The room is about 18ft by 15. The subs will be placed adjacent to the front speakers.

I had the pleasure of hearing both Rags' and smurfin's systems this week. I was hugely impressed with the 750. I have never heard such tight, detailed bass. It certainly wasn't lacking for power either.

I felt smurfin's dual servo 15s went lower but that was it for improvements. Of course Matt loves the trouser/room skaing ability of the servos, so they suit him just fine. However I didn't think it was as tight or clean as the B&W. The EQ Matt uses might have contributed (he has a big dip to compensate for) plus rags is using a much higher end pre/pro. The rooms also couldn't be more different.

Don't get me wrong, on a value for money basis (servos were going for £400 at one point) the servo is superb, but even at £1200 for the 750 I was very impressed. If I had to pick one for my own use I'd take the B&W. Can't wait to hear a PB2+ now....

IMO Rags doesn't need 2 subs. The single fills the room easily. There is a slight lack of extension, ie you can feel it through the floor but it doesn't shake the room, but I can't see how a 2nd 750 would fix that. Maybe if he added something that went lower, but I didn't feel he needed any more.

Which EQ setting on the sub are you using Rags?
It appears that the manual suggests that the EQ settings for the 750 are opposite to the 675, ie: EQ 'A' for the tightest sound and lowest extension, and EQ 'B' for the highest listening levels.

Barrie- Eq setting A I think - but cant check it as no longer have it.

Daneel - good to hear that you liked the ASW750. As you know I had it set at just under half amp gain and -12.5db lower than my other channels. If I add something that goes lower (a bigger driver) I lose the mental slam. The thing with this sub is I can turn it up higher (I have gone to -5db) and it still does not lose control and no boom either but the bass just gets ridiculous (I recall you felt that even at -12.5db it was a tad hot).

Two subs will pressurise the room better imho (I know you felt that one was enough but as Stellavision said I'm a mentalist :D).

Do you recall the two scenes from Monsters Inc and the JP2 one ? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom