At last a real lager

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
I thought they must exists somewhere but almost gave up hope of ever finding one until saturday when I ventured into a beer festival at the Blue Anchor in Helston Cornwall and there it was. Thought it was German at first coz it had a vaguely Germanic name but not a bit of it , its Scottish:rolleyes::
http://www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk/harviestoun/schiehallion.htm

It was so good I drank nothing else bar a pint of the Stingo( Blue Anchor's own brew). This beer is far removed form the usual insipid gassy rubbish one usually encounters. It had flavour ,bags of it and whats more is best served at cellar temperature thus preserving that flavour.
Needless to say I had to be partially carried home:eek:Good evening though and the music was great too:smashin:sort of singalong folk tunes of old.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Schiehallion is a tasty brew,for sure.
it doesnt sound Germanic,in the slightest,but i suppose thats because im Scottish.
another addition to the long list of Scottish beer being better tasting than English/German/just about anywhere else - beer. :rotfl::rotfl:

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Schiehallion is a tasty brew,for sure.
it doesnt sound Germanic,in the slightest,but i suppose thats because im Scottish.
another addition to the long list of Scottish beer being better tasting than English/German/just about anywhere else - beer. :rotfl::rotfl:

I wnet around telling several people at the event that it was German:rolleyes::eek:. Feel a right fool now

.:rotfl:
Steady on now I only meant lager

Mindcrime

The Schiehallion is an excellent lager, all the more so because it's cask conditioned so it has a really clean profile and doesn't taste like your typical Weasel **** Lagers out there. Definitely one to track down. I last had it on cask at the Birkenhead Beer Festival about 4 years ago. Also check out the Bitter & Twisted from Harviestoun, another excellent hoppy, bitter ale.

MegnCalvin

The Harveston brewery is just along the road from me and the local pub have Bitter and Twisted & Schiehallion on tap.

I think I'll stop on the way home from work and grab a few bottles. Tesco did have these in their 3 for £4 offer not that long ago which was magic.

Mindcrime

The Harveston brewery is just along the road from me and the local pub have Bitter and Twisted & Schiehallion on tap.

I think I'll stop on the way home from work and grab a few bottles.

You lucky sod :thumbsup:

I've got to wait until the winter before the state run off licences bring any Harviestoun beers over here. And then they are only available for about 2 months :mad: :mad: Which means my beer cellar will expand greatly. I feel like a squirrel hoarding for Winter!!

Mylo

Distinguished Member
You lucky sod :thumbsup:

I've got to wait until the winter before the state run off licences bring any Harviestoun beers over here. And then they are only available for about 2 months :mad: :mad: Which means my beer cellar will expand greatly. I feel like a squirrel hoarding for Winter!!

I'd forgotten that horrible Canadian beer supply problem :eek: No Off Licence on every street corner for you boys :suicide:

Mindcrime

Thank God for the Private Order System. That way we get decent beers. Or we use Beer Mules to run the borders for us!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom