1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASW800 in a 3Mx4.5M room overkill?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mattross, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How much would that upset my neighbours? Is it even practical for a room this small? My fronts would be Nautilus 804s.

Thanks.

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mattross

My room is a meagre 5.1m x 3.2m - not that disimilar to yours.

I tried the 803's in my room but chose to buy the Signature 805 and a REL STENTOR3 sub instead.

As long as the sub is carefully positioned it is definitely not an overkill. The problem is finding a place to put the sub in a small room like this that does not set off lots of resonant room modes. You may have seen this with the your 804s - do some bass notes boom a bit ?

I would advise asking for a home demo from your dealer to see if you can crossover the ASW800 to the 804's when the sub is positioned where it looks OK and sounds OK.

Contrary to REL recommendations I found that the Stentor needs to be well clear of walls and corners in my small room.

Luckily I have a dedicated room to I was able to get the sub well into the room and the bass is just superb..........tight, extended and powerful without any significant room mode induced peaks. I don't have any kind of digital equalisation for the sub because I want to run SACD and DVDA in analogue, undigitised form...

Trust your ears. If it sounds good to you then no it's not an overkill...

Gary

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My personal take on Bass is that it's not always about how loud you can have it but it is the quality that matters, ie is it fast enough to use suitably with both music and movies and still retain the fine detail that many subs do miss at low to moderate levels
    Obviously you sometimes like to play films loud and with a quality sub it will do that and play ultra low & more or less Distortion free at the same time.
    With something like the B&W 800 series subs you most definitly have quality and to be honest it will only make your existing system even better.

John

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The more capable the sub is at producing good sound at medium to higher volumes the better for everyone. You should infact have the sub setup to the same level as any other sub. How it copes with producing the sound is down to the quality of the sub/box itself.

You can never have too much power on tap ;)

I have heard the 800 and found it to be an amazing piece of kit, and would think it would compliment the rest of your system perfectly.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How are you intending to connect the sub to your stereo amp as the ASW800 only has a line level input.

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    As a side point why dont you go for the ASW750 ? Its essentially the same sub - it has the same 1000rms amp and 12" driver as the ASW800. The only difference is the cabinet. I would expect them to perform at the same level and the ASW750 will save you £400 notes.

7. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im sure you will be fine. I use an 850 with 804s in a stupidly shaped room not much bigger than yours and it certainly doesn`t boom - it just fills out the lower octaves, nicely. In fact, what the hell, if youve got the "footprint space" try an 850! Be assured that an 800 sounds different to a 750, great thought the 750 is. The cabinet makes an aweful lot of difference. However, trust your ears and nothing else.

8. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I am surprised you say that. The detail you have described above whilst is certainly true, the box must be a major enhancement over the 750, since I believed they miles apart in terms of performance.

I know that sounds strange but if it's down to the box then whatever enhancements they have made to the design and bracing techniques they have, in my opinion, made the 800 series a huge performace upgrade in terms of performance.

I heard both subs in the same position under the same test conditions.

Look at the pb-10 as well, it's pretty common knowledge that SVS have designed the box to maximise performance of their driver, I suspect B&W have done the same with the 800 series.

Only my 2p worth. :)

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Samhain - I think we have been here before ! Having owned and heard a range of B&W subs I really dont think the 750 is going to be miles off the 800 and the £400 extra would be better spent elsewhere. Cabinet bracing is cetainly important but the point is that it certainly isnt shoddy in the ASW750 either. If anyone was upgrading from the 750 depending on affordability it really should be to the 850. For me the 800 is stuck in no mans land. On a very brief demo I had recently, I didnt think it was anything special over the 750 and the £400 premium for "cabinet bracing" is more to do with moving into the Nautilus range.

10. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mattross,

I have just become the very proud owner of a 850 today :D :D :rotfl: :clap: and oh boy, if you treat yourself to one I gurantee that you'll never ever flirt with another sub ever again :smashin: My room dimensions are not much bigger than yours and I dont find it overpowering at all. I just find that everything is just effortless and smooth. Go for it :smashin:

11. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmm it is very tempting I must admit. Is there anywhere online that sells B&W speakers?

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Am I missing something here as your system seems to be for stereo and not AV

13. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes my existing system is. I'm planning on getting a full AV setup and using my Sugden to continue powering the front speakers.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mattross i don't think you can buy B&W online only thru a dealer :(

John

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Congratulations Stonegragon !

B&W don't "allow" online selling. Quite a ridiculous situation.

16. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That is bizarre. They must lose lots of business with that attitude.

17. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Rags..we are now a very select few and priveleged on the forum :D Isn't it good to know that you've come to end of a long road and have arrived!! :D

18. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

They are not alone, M&K is another

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    I actually don't blame them to be honest. It used to really annoy me, but if high-end kit is distributed by box-shifters, how on earth are the high street dealers supposed to compete with slashed prices, to make a living? I know one thing, if high-street AV stores were to disappear it would be a great loss....

20. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    One can understand B&W's point of view to some degree. The temptation is for a buyer to demo kit in the dealers and then seek the lowest price online once they've made a decision. It could be argued that B&W are simply protecting their dealers.

On the downside is the comparitive rarity of dealers with the higher end B&W subs. Perhaps they hope for a whiff of exclusivity by limiting outlets for anything above (say) the ASW675? But they probably argue that the better kit needs a better quality demo. From better trained staff. With better equipment. In better surroundings. For customers with more exclusive tastes and wallets to match. I can understand this viewpoint as well.

Others might argue that the profit margin on the high end subs needs more protection. So selling them online would be even worse news for the dealers offering time-costly demo's.

All the above assumes that online prices are much lower than at a dealers. Since the online sources have much lower overheads and are simply shifting boxes. Some don't even stock the goods on their websites and order from the wholesaler/manufacturer only when required to supply something to an online customer.

My own feeling is that as selling online becomes the normal away to buy something. Then most manufacturers and dealers will be forced to sell online simply to compete for trade. Presumably dealers with showrooms will then have to charge for demonstrations or absorb the costs within their more profitable online sales?

There will always be those for whom the "ceremony" of having a decent demo in nice surroundings with a skilful demonstrator. Handing over the plastic to the dealer on cue. Then driving home with the shiny new kit. Will be an important part of their AV purchasing. And why not? It's a nice feeling to be pampered. Even if you are paying for it. You can't get a good online haircut...well not yet anyway. :suicide:

There will also be those who prefer a skilled dealer set-up and demo in their own AV room at home. The relationship between the buyer and the dealer is then considered well worth paying for. Simply to avoid costly mistakes and to achieve maximum performance from the purchased kit as a fully optimised system. The latter can be a considerable advantage. Provided the dealer/installer really is skilled at his trade.

The more secure purchaser. With some experience of optimising his own system. Will probably want to buy at the best possible price online. They will consider their system offers superior performance for the money expended due to their skill in making equipment choices. They will use other's opinions, reviews and manufacturer's reputations to make their own purchasing choices after considerable online research.

They will probably continue to wonder why B&W don't sell online. Then buy another manufacturer's products instead. And congratulate themselves on the wisdom of their purchase. They will then share that information with other enthusiasts on the AV fora. :D

Nimby

21. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Great reply, Nimby - very balanced. I must say that I have benefitted enormously from the expertise and time given by my local Dealer. Their "value" is much much more that just a good price, which, as a regular customer, I get, as well. I can understand entirely why B&W wont sell their nautilus range on-line but would have thought they allowed e-traders to stock and sell the DM and 600 series, if only to compete. That said, B&W are the largest manufacturer of speakers in the UK and at the top of the pile (commercially) perhaps, don`t feel obliged.
    Maybe they feel they are lone crusaders against the evils of no-demo trading.