1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asw750?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by moomin papa, Nov 12, 2004.

1. moomin papa

moomin papa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, this is my first post, and I've heard good things about the site, so hopefully you can help me out in parting with some of my cash!

Apologies, if you have heard hundreds of posts like this, but would really appreciate some advice.

Have about £1,200 to spend on a sub - don't really want to go any higher.

Have heard about the ASW750 and would like to know if this is the best sub at this price - if not, what else is there?

I want it for mainly movies - action, sci-fi etc wants lots of impact ie great bullets, explosions and dinosaur roars etc!

Room is about 16ft x 16ft

Currently have an old yamaha yst300 - I assume the extra cash will be worth spent?

However, went to Sevenoaks to enquire about this sub, and the guy said that although B&W make good speakers they don't make good subs. Is he talking rubbish?

He told me only to consider REL and M&K - would one of these be better?

Looks are important as is a local dealer, so not into any of these SVS? US imports.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. dvddude

dvddude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello mate, yep i think he is talking rubbish. the b&w subs are pretty good but not quite as popular as the rel equilivants.
    i would look at poss, x2 asw675, its realy punchy and quick but also when it gets goin its ace!!
    or the new pv1 looks v cool and its ment to be good.
    hope that helps........just listen to them before you buy

3. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi moomin papa,
    The guy at Sevenoaks is talking out of his hat. B&W subs not good? :confused:

Just take a look at all the posts on this forum, when it comes to parting with cash for a sub and B&W are nearly always mentioned- and for good reason. They make some of the best subs around and the 750 is already a class leader in performance and price. I nearly bought one, but went for the 850 instead. No doubt rags will be lending his thoughts when he sees this post, because he used to own one, but trust me mate you wont go wrong with a 750. If you look at the magazine reviews as well, the 750 consistently is a high acheiver, earining for itself top marks. I've heard the REL, but I'll keep my opinions to myself about that one, but I haven't heard the M&K. GO FOR IT!!! :thumbsup:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As a matter of interest you should ask Sevenoaks to set you up a demo between a B&W ASW750 and whatever REL or M&K have to offer for the same price and ask him to point out why the B&W is inferior.

I wouldn't mind betting that the dealer doesn't actually stock that particular make of sub which is probably why he is trying to sell you something different. Find another dealer as the B&W is well worth a listen.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moomin the only way to make up your mind on anything is to make sure that you Dem all the subs that are in £1200 price range and also maybe a few for less.Never take something as being rubbish if you have never heard it use youre own mind to make the decisions and don't always trust your local dealer, saying that though there are many good dealers out there who will try to help you make the right choice.

John

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    To answer the second part of your question, upgrading from the Yammie to a sub in the class of the B&W will give you a huge leap forward in performance - assuming that the rest of your kit is up to scratch.

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The 750 is an excellent sub, your dealer is talking crap.

The only downside I noticed was a *slight* lack of extension. I'd estiamte it's flat into the low 20s but no further. There should be plenty of power in a room your size. I just listened to Rags' system last week, he had replaced the 750 with a 850 (also moved from 805 fronts to 804 and HTM2 to HTM1). There was defintely the full range of extension there but that was the only difference in the bass I could hear (bear in mind it was a good few months between the demos though).

You should be able to get 10% off the RRP so if your local dealer won't give you that try elsewhere. Some of the velodyne subs are supposed to be comparable, perhaps a 2nd hand HGS-15 for example, but I have no personal experience of Velodyne's higher end offerings. The M&K subs are well respected so I'd ask your dealer to demo the 750 against one of them if I were you, again I have no personal experience of them.

BTW, what is the rest of your system? Although the sub is a crucial component for movie performance and will be a huge improvement over the Yamaha, some of the money may be spent better elsewhere if it is out of balance (e.g. a 2nd hand servo-15 for £400ish and £800 elsewhere)

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you wish to rule out importing a sub, the £1,200 price limit is actually an odd one to find suitable candidates for. The B&W ASW850, the Velodyne DD range and the M&K MX-350 are all candidates at £2,000 and above and there is no shortage of worthwhile subs to demo up to £500 but £1,200 seems to be a bit of a wasteland.

The B&W ASW750 is the only obvious candidate apart from REL and I think that the Q400 is overpriced at £1,000 anyway. As a dealer purchase is an essential in this case it rules out the second hand route which would have brought Velodyne HGS and M&K MX-350 into the frame as well as a Paradigm Servo with at least £700 left over

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The ASW750 is an excellent sub and it should give you all that you are looking for in terms of movie sound. I gave it a lot of punishment but never managed to bottom it. The ASW850 is a lot better though in terms of low frequency extension, headroom and overall dynamics but it also is a lot dearer as you know.

If you dont want to go down the import route with SVS etc, for £1200 I cant think of a better sub for movies. It really is a little beast. If you change your mind and are willing to import, the SVS PB2+ (or whatever it is called now) is a better performer as it can go lower down the frequency range.

10. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Papa, don't worry about sevenoaks when I went to ask for a sub funny enough tey recommended an Rel, but it wasn't in the price range as yours
    As Ian said ask them for a demo and see what they have to say
    Good luck
    Gerry

11. moomin papa

moomin papa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys.

My local practical hi-fi is letting me have a 750 on loan, so I'll have a listen and see.

He also seems very flexible on price, so that sounds good.

Cheers

Nic

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try and listen to a few subs if you can just to be sure.

John

13. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I recently heard the forthcoming Rel Storm 5 at the What Hi-Fi show & thought it blended into a £30k system rather nicely. It certainly didn`t embarrass its`self. According to the Rel guy, it contains a 12 inch woofer & a 300w class A/B amp. Retail will be £1,000 inc. wood finishes.

Regards Dan :)

14. moomin papa

moomin papa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again.

If I go for the 750, what would be a suitable cable to use with this subwoofer - don't want to spend all that on a subwoofer then not get the most out of it with a crap cable!

I currently use a 5m Black Rhodium subwoofer cable (single phono I think), which costs about £40/£50. Should I be looking for something a bit more pricey? can you recommend anything?

Cheers

Nic

15. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think that will be fine :thumbsup:

16. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I cannot beleive anyone would even think about suggesting that B&W do not make good subs!!! :eek: :rotfl:
    It seems to me that Rel is always the favorable preference from Sevenoaks for some reason. Maybe they get more profit from or commission from them or something :confused:
    Having owned an ASW675 and an ASW750 I can assure anyone with any doubt that B&W do not make crap subwoofers. The 750 itself is a fantastic performer with movies and music equally IMHO. It can rock your sofa with explosions, but can also sound natural and refined with music. As for it being suggested that it has not a lot to give below 20Hz, this is probably true, although different rooms may resonate these lower frequencies. However, there are not really that many subs out there which will shake the windows below 20Hz unless you spend a lot more or buy one that swallows up a small room.
    For £1200 it is a good buy, but you could possibly pick one up for as little as £1000.
    Nic, as you now seem to be getting a home demo I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Just be sure to post back your thoughts which will hopefully dispell any negative thoughts from all the B&W sub unbeleivers.

17. moomin papa

moomin papa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised you believe a £40 cable is good enough for a £1,200 sub. Although there don't seem to be many more expensive cables out there!

My amp has two line outs for the sub, and I pesume that the sub will have two lin ins - should I use both? or use a Y connector?

Cheers

Nic

18. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I use a £25 Ixos cable on a £3000 sub, which if I was being honest I would change if it were'nt for the fact that it is routed under carpet and floorboards. I don't think my DD15 suffers from it though.

You don't need to use a Y-splitter, left or right inputs will do.

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The ASW750 would murder the REL, I heard the same demo in the REL room at the What Hi-Fi show and I was incredibly dissappointed at what I heard, REL REALLY need to get their act together if they want to compete performance/pound wise with the likes of B&W, and now Quad are on the scene with their cracking Quad L Subwoofer.

Only if you spend silly money now-a-days do you get decent performance with REL subwoofers. Maybe it is because I am spoilt for BASS with the SVS PC Ultra now, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the many people that think they are getting the best bass for the money with REL subwoofers, because they are not. The BK XLS200 would give the Stampede and Strata a good run for their money I'd say.

This is not a flame against you Dan mate, just REL and their inflated opinion of themselves. Again, this is just one mans opinion, and many seem to be happy with their RELs, good on them, and what sounds good to me, may not be anothers cup of cha.

Don't forget that the SVS subs are available in wood finishes too, a PB2 Ultra would be lovely :D (I think it is now called the PB12 Ultra/2). It doesn't solve the support issue though (although SVS have fantastic end user support).

If it was a UK sourced subwoofer, with a £1200 budget, the ASW750 is the default choice, or you could get two Quad L Subwoofers :devil:

The KEF PSW4000 may be worth a listen too, or the PSW5000, although I'm not sure what price bracket the KEF PSW4000/5000 fall in.

20. make72

make72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the colors.I get this mail from SVS last week:pB12-Ultra/2 in woodgrain is currently backordered for an uncertain period of time; we’re working on a new vendor for the wood cabinets but it might be 6 weeks to 6 months before we have production units from them. Working with a new vendor is always a slow process at first and there’s no telling how long it will take. I am CCing my partner RON on this email and he may be able to give you an update on the current progress of the new vendor.