ASUSTOR AS6204T NAS Review & Comments

"supports a maximum of 16TB (terabytes) of storage."

Doesn't it recognise HDDs over 4TB?

I'm sure it will support >4GB, but at the time of manufacture, I bet 4GB was the only size that was tested or readily available as a sensible option. A bit like the Mobiles that say "up to 128GB SDXC", when in fact, they will happily support the 200GB SDXC cards (HTC One M8 I have supports the 200GB just fine).

I would be interested to know how well this works as a Plex server, or if it has to be a client. @Mark Hodgkinson - are you able to comment at all?

"supports a maximum of 16TB (terabytes) of storage."

Doesn't it recognise HDDs over 4TB?

I think silverfox will have nailed it with his reply and I only had 4TB HDD's to test with. Let me check with ASUS.

I would be interested to know how well this works as a Plex server, or if it has to be a client. @Mark Hodgkinson - are you able to comment at all?

At the time of review, which was quite a bit ahead of the UK release, there was no PLEX server app to test with but there is now. I can't therefore comment directly but given the performance in the AV tests, I would expect it would make a very good PLEX server as it's certainly got the chops for almost all the transcoding you'd need.

I am looking to get a NAS and backup my physical media to it (CD/DVD/BLURAY).
I am not convinced that having an old HDMI port on the device is really a good idea. If it was HDMI2.0a then it would be reasonably future proof but the older standard implemented on this asustor means it's going to have direct connect playback issues when we inevitably get the ability to backup our UHD discs. I'm thinking it's better getting a pure DLNA capable NAS that concentrates on storage and read/write speeds and leave the file interpretation and playback to external devices that can be upgraded / swapped as standards evolve and let the NAS concentrate on being just a NAS. Still, if you are stopping your upgrade train at the 1080p station and want an all-on-one media player then this NAS does look to be very comprehensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom