ASUSTOR AS6102T NAS Review & Comments

thanks mark, been thinking about getting a NAS , but i need a stable 4K version, whatever i buy (and when, as i have so many upgrades) i want a really good 4k media player (not an issue at the moment due to lack of content) but just thinking for the future, this one i think doesnt tick that box.

thanks mark, been thinking about getting a NAS , but i need a stable 4K version, whatever i buy (and when, as i have so many upgrades) i want a really good 4k media player (not an issue at the moment due to lack of content) but just thinking for the future, this one i think doesnt tick that box.

That would only be a problem if you were using it for direct playback. If you were just using it as storage, & used a media device it would be ok.

"Wired transfer speeds using a single Ethernet connection ran close to the maximum of a gigabyte per second, meaning even full Blu-ray rips can be done in around half a minute and, when called upon by client devices, playback was near instantaneous."

Getting Bits and Bytes mixed up maybe? :D

Going by manufacturers specs, using smart switches so the NIC's are teamed, you're looking at a very optimistic 2.5 minutes for a 30GB Blu-ray.

"Wired transfer speeds using a single Ethernet connection ran close to the maximum of a gigabyte per second, meaning even full Blu-ray rips can be done in around half a minute and, when called upon by client devices, playback was near instantaneous."

Getting Bits and Bytes mixed up maybe? :D

Going by manufacturers specs, using smart switches so the NIC's are teamed, you're looking at a very optimistic 2.5 minutes for a 30GB Blu-ray.

Oops, thanks corrected!

Thanks Mark. After listening to the podcast about this may I ask what software you used to rip your blurays and want format you ripped them too.

Cheers. David

Hi,
I just saw the review of the 6202 as well (thanks for both).
It seems there the Multimedia part works just fine.
Do you think it's about the update (Kodi 16.0) and that this AS6102 would be as good then, or is it about the hardware (would be weird but never know)?
Cheers, Chris

Do you think it's about the update (Kodi 16.0) and that this AS6102 would be as good then, or is it about the hardware (would be weird but never know)?
Remember hardware is HDMI 1.4b only, which means you run UHD/4K movies at 30hz or lower.

Hi LGFan,

Indeed, but from the review of the AS6204T - with the same HDMI specs (ASUSTOR AS6204T NAS Review) - there seemed to be way less problems with the multimedia player part.
I would just like to know if this is related to the specs differences (relatively small) between the 2 models, or just (as I hope / think) the last update. Then the AS6102T would be perfect for me! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom