Asustor AS-202TE - HD audio codecs

Webbserver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Following some helpful advice on a recent thread I started (NAS newbie - Advice required please! | AVForums ) I went ahead and purchased an Asustor AS-202TE and fitted a 3tb WD red drive too.
I've been playing with it for a week or so now and I'm having some issues to be honest.

XBMC
1 - tried connecting up to my AV pre/pro via HDMI using the XBMC app. SD video and audio work fine. However, HD video with HD DTS is down converted to DTS core whilst HD video with Dolby TrueHD stutters so badly it virtually stops.
It seems to me that the Asustor is not sending the audio as bitstream and there doesn't seem to be an option to select this anywhere.
asustors website references compatibility with Dolby and DTS HD codecs so I assume this includes the 2 series??

PLEX
1 - Samsung BD player plays all video fine, but can't play back HD audio codecs. It plays the DTS core for DTS HD, but there is no sound with Dolby True HD.
2 - Popcorn hour A-210 plays all SD video and audio fine and plays back video with DTS HD audio codecs fine too. However it really really struggles with any video containing Dolby TrueHD and again stutters so badly it virtually stops.

I have Direct Play selected in the Plex app so my understanding is that the Asustor is not transcoding?

The Audio options seem limited / non existent in the Plex app version for the Asustor so am I restricted to using this app as I notice there are several versions of Plex and read somewhere that it's possible to install Plex software from the Plex website. I downloaded the Asustor NAS 32bit version to my PC but I'm not sure how or if I can install it!

I wonder if the Plex audio issues I'm having with the Popcorn Hour A-210 would be addressed if I had an A-400? If so I'll buy one.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom