Question ASUS zenbook 14, difficulty restoring backup from external, boot problem BIOS related, how to

schrungo

Established Member
Reaction score
Restoring my ASUS Notebook UX433FA (solid state drive and windows 10), I would appreciate any help please.
Last week I got a blue screen crash "critical structure correction" which since then, although my laptop appears to be ok and even google chrome is now working, I am not quite comfortable all ok.
So I have been trying to restore from my March backup, and having difficulty. I created a restore cd and tried to change the boot priory to D: as I could do with my old window 7 laptop also down loaded windows 10 tool, which does not start automatically when I restart.

I would recommend Bolosun's answer first, but if you have to reset you don't need to boot off a DVD.
Resetting can be done from windows 10
Start
Settings
Update and security
Recovery
Reset

If it is working, boot it in safe mode and use the sfc command to check the file structure. As for booting from DVD, look here
Thanks respond Bolosun
I would recommend Bolosun's answer first, but if you have to reset you don't need to boot off a DVD.
Resetting can be done from windows 10
Start
Settings
Update and security
Recovery
Reset
I agree, was looking over the w/e going through the procedure,
"Use the System File Checker tool to repair"

I can see myself having a few senior moments there, but would have a go if I have to.
Video "how to enter BIOS" looked like just the thing..
update n security>recovery (start)advanced options start up (restart)>trouble shoot>advanced options>UEFI firmware settings > restart to change UEFI firmware settings>
Now get a different page, not as per the video.
This is what I get> MAIN -general info noted clock reading correct.
ADVANCED tab> fn lock option, hyper threading, intel virtualization tech, VT- d + [all enabled]
below more with ">"
BOOT tab >fast boot, boot option #1,add new boot option, delete boot option.
scratching head ?

I find this UEFI stuff complicated as well.
Just run sfc first, right click on the start menu, choose run powershell as administrator, then type
sfc /scannow
Otherwise do a reset as per my suggestion

Having a go sfc,..........what could go wrongo_O
windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them, see log etc
sfc scan now.......c:WINDOWS\system32> /scannow - result> windows wrp did not find any integrity violations.
There appears to be nothing else, though it would be complicated,
will see if that has a bearing on ??????

late night last night watching.......................................
Will check out to understand what file structure is.

Last edited:
followed the "how to enter BIOS configuration" and @ 0.55 minutes ift not the same as the video

Just had a blue screen.
"this xxx? ran problem and need to restart ( quickly noted the gist countdown to recover before it recovered.
Wonder if ccleaner would be a tool to use here, without doing more damage due to what settings i use

CCleaner won't help.
So this the second blue screen of death within a week or so, correct? If this was random the same as previous BSOD it looks as though you may have a hardware problem. If you were still messing about with the BIOS config then this might be the cause.
I would check the SSD and RAM for errors
The SSD will probably have a some utility software for error checking - this will be on the manufacturers website, so go there and check or if you give me specific details of the SSD I can check, otherwise download crystaldiskinfo and run that well as chkdsk
To run chkdsk go to this PC, Right click on C drive, properties,tools, error check

to check the RAM type "memory" in the start search bar and run Windows Memory Diagnostic overnight

Last edited:
Just had a blue screen.
"this xxx? ran problem and need to restart ( quickly noted the gist countdown to recover before it recovered.
Wonder if ccleaner would be a tool to use here, without doing more damage due to what settings i use
Got into safe mode via system config.
to my untrained eye I found nothing unusual IE folders etc in alphabetical order.
undid setting and back to the normal boot

Got into safe mode via system config.
to my untrained eye I found nothing unusual IE folders etc in alphabetical order.
undid setting and back to the normal boot
I would stop fiddling, then you can either wait and see if the BSODs keep happening or do the checks I have suggested. Either way let us know how you get on.

CCleaner won't help.
So this the second blue screen of death within a week or so, correct? If this was random the same as previous BSOD it looks as though you may have a hardware problem. If you were still messing about with the BIOS config then this might be the cause.
I would check the SSD and RAM for errors
The SSD will probably have a some utility software for error checking - this will be on the manufacturers website, so go there and check or if you give me specific details of the SSD I can check, otherwise download crystaldiskinfo and run that well as chkdsk
Crystaldiskinfo
To run chkdsk go to this PC, Right click on C drive, properties,tools, error check

to check the RAM type "memory" in the start search bar and run Windows Memory Diagnostic overnight
Thank you DavidG1
I acknowledge that I have been a bit off the page at times, I will calm down now.
registered for my asus, dont see a error check option.
My drive is - INTEL SSDPEKNW512GB
The reason for me being keen on restore to previous, is that I have/had about 10000+ music plus other files, and it looks like for some reason some are missing, restoring to old backup would ensure that it be complete.
Really appreciate the help from you guys here.

The problem is even if you restore from a backup if the drive is failing you risk having the same problem. Far better to check the health of the drive, if it is OK then you can restore everything without worry. The good thing is that you were sensible enough to have a backup
Here is a link to the intel website where you can download an SSD toolbox where you can view information about the drive health, firmware version etc

Addditionally I found this Asus link on how to boot off a DVD drive with a UEFI BIOS

Last edited:
Used that Intel tool DavidG1 and was getting complete scan completing OK finished in 7 seconds.
I Googled my drive version intel tool, when I used it for complete scan was about one hour.
See screen shots of both.
RE: ASUS link

"Tuesday at 5:40 PM
followed the "how to enter BIOS configuration" and @ 0.55 minutes it not the same screen as the video" thie is the screen that I get and not the UEFI screen, see screen shot (and that is why I was fiddling, was to get the UEFI screen as per the video

Attachments

• FULL SCAN COMPLETE.png
    FULL SCAN COMPLETE.png
    616.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Full scan only seven seconds.jpg
    Full scan only seven seconds.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 56
  • what comes after the restart_204859.jpg
    what comes after the restart_204859.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Why do you have to restore the whole drive to get your music back? Why not just restore the Music directory?

Because I do not know to what extent that first blue screen my have/ or not, and to what extent%%%??? I can confident (as per that earlier date backup, all was good)
even now (a small point) dont want to stray away from main issue)) normal copy and paste takes ages to respond, and not as it was.

Run a chkdsk on the drive. Then run sfc /scannow. You could also try the Windows Repair option. Assuming this all passes with no errors, just restore the data from your backups. What program do you use to backup your system?

followed the "how to enter BIOS configuration" and @ 0.55 minutes it not the same screen as the video" thie is the screen that I get and not the UEFI screen, see screen shot (and that is why I was fiddling, was to get the UEFI screen as per the video
Follow the link I gave you which is different from entering the BIOS configuration video given in Bolosuns link.
Look at the step by step tutorial given in the link rather than the video. I have added the relevant screens for you
When you get into the BIOS you need to first go to the security section

1) Once you enter the BIOS configuration, enter [Security] -> disable [Secure Boot Control].
1601564079142.png

2)Select [BOOT], enable [Launch CSM]. [Compatibility Support Module], and disable [Fast Boot].
1601564150114.png

3) Press F10 to save the configuration, and restart the computer

4) You can now boot the system from USB drive/CD-ROM by following the two methods.

(1) Enter BIOS -> Select [Save & Exit] -> Select USB drive/CD-ROM from [Boot Override]

(2) Hold and press [ESC] then press the power button to turn on the system. You can select the boot device from the list.

Once you have managed to restore the system you will of course have to re-enable secure boot and disable CSM to boot back into your GPT system

Last edited:
I did not think, great! at last! for long.
Into BIOS >secure boot disabled> look for boot tab, no boot tab showing, so in order to keep secure boot disabled. f10 get out saving secure boot disabled. back to windows. shut down and then switch on f2 pressed. into BIOS again secure boot still disabled> select security tab> no CSM option>F10 and out☹☹☹☹

Last edited:
BINGO!!!!!👍
I have been dabbling, and think I done it.
looking at basic restore point (I still had the external backup drive connected, unaware)
It gave the option of restoring from the backup on the, and it worked after a long process. bingo.
That is what I wanted.
Checked the BIOS to see if it hah changed anything, and it hadn't, but that is not so important now, cause I just needed it to change the boot order.
So a big THANK YOU Bolosun and DavidG1, Incredible to know that there are knowledgeable people here, generously lending a hand👍 I am a old age pensioner and especially thankful. My 50s "rare grooves" lives

Question - Can you suggest any good tool/s for making sure drivers are up to date, too that if things go belly up, can help to check/ put things right? free /pay that will not create stuff on my browsers that is hard to get rid of? that's not too complicated?

Run a chkdsk on the drive. Then run sfc /scannow. You could also try the Windows Repair option. Assuming this all passes with no errors, just restore the data from your backups. What program do you use to backup your system?
All tests ran and was OK

"CSM is not in the security tab, it is in the Boot tab" my mistake, sorry
Just checked DavidG1 and CSM is not in boot see snap

Attachments

• 20201002_094027.jpg
    20201002_094027.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
So all is now ok? Or is your issue still with some missing music files?
Think that is OK now Bolosun, Its a large amount of files and afterwards I do find a few missing, I can live with that:lesson:

"So [Launch CSM] feature(option) is no longer in the BIOS Setup menu from Intel CoffeeLake processors."

point taken

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom