Asus X550D Laptop destroying power supplies

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by STANNY08, Jun 21, 2015.

1. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +862
    I have an Asus X550D laptop, had it about 16 months. A couple of months ago while using it i heard a loud pop after which the laptop switched to battery mode. I tried the power supply in another compatible laptop and it wouldnt work. I tried a compatible power supply in my laptop and it worked. I changed the fuse in the plug for my power supply plugged it into my laptop and it was fine for about a week befor it went pop again. I replaced the fuse, and as soon as i plugged it into the wall it blew again. I took a trip to maplin and bought a new power supply. A universal one with different power settings and changeable ends. This worked great about 6 weeks until this morning when streaming a film from the laptop to the tv , it went pop. The fuse had gone so i replaced it but as soon as i plugged it into the wall it went again, with a flash in the power supply.

Any ideas what is wrong with the laptop that is damaging the power supplies? I can go buy another power supply but there isnt much point if my laptop is gonna keep destroying them.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    What capacities were the original and universal power supply? It looks like the X550 comes with a couple of different capacity adapters for different configurations so was everything sealed in the box or was this a refurb/open box purchase?

Do you leave the battery in the laptop when you're using it on mains?

3. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +862
    It was a brand new sealed box. The battery cannot be removed from this model.
    The original power supply was a 90w, 19v 4.74 output, matching the sticker on the underside of the laptop.

I noticed when searching for the replacement last time a slightly different power supply seemed to keep coming up on the searches i was doing for my model of laptop so i went with a universal one that could match exactly the laptops requirements.

Since posting this thread i have had that universal one replaced for another universal one that has a higher power rating (125w) but automatically scales to the requirements. Hopefully this one lasts but I still feel there must be a problem with the laptop.