Asus UX32 vs Vivobook S400

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Niloticus1, May 9, 2013.

1. Niloticus1

Niloticus1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

I need to buy a laptop pronto (might need to be on site and using it as soon as Friday...) and I'd be grateful if anyone can help me choose between the two above.

The specific options I'm considering are:

Asus UX32A-R3007V (Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GBHDD + 24GBSSD Win 7 HP)

or

Asus Vivobook S400CA-CA040H (Core i5/i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD + 24GB SSD, Win 8 and touchscreen)

My main concern is that I have a portable and functional laptop for light business use (MS Project will probably be the most taxing thing I run) that will be upgradeable to last a few years. I tend to use laptops as a desktop replacement when I'm away from home, so screen and keyboard/touchpad are of less concern to me than most as I normally hook up a separate screen and peripherals.

I think either machine can have RAM upgrades:

I believe the S400 has a spare 4GB slot but I was a bit concerned that Crucial don't list a RAM upgrade for this model???.

Not sure whether a 4GB or 8GB RAM upgrade on the UX32 will cause asymmetrical RAM issues?

I'm pretty confident that I will be able to stick a 500GB SSD in either machine once SSD prices have dropped.

Any thoughts on which of the above machines I should go for (price is not really a concern as there's so little between them) or whether there's anything else I should be looking at?

The main reason I'm considering two Asus machines is that I've handled a bunch of lightweight laptops and these seem to be solidly built for the money.

And yes, if they made the S200 with an i5 or i7 chip I'd be very seriously considering that too.....

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Dave