Asus T100 Transformer

Might give it a go some time. I didn't fare very well earlier though. :)

For anyone else who happens to be interested here are some more gaming videos.

I forgot, FRAPS steals some fps so the games will actually play even better with out it on

:D

(does a silly dance)

I've tested this in the past and the effect is pretty minor actually - back to back testing in benchmarks gave me less than a 1fps difference between with and without. That was on high-end desktop hardware though so maybe it has more impact on something like this.

Couple Source titles as well:

Counter Strike Source:

Portal 2:

Only outright failure I've had from the games I've tested is GTA IV, which would only report 26MB of VRAM and wouldn't get in to the main game.

looking good, this new atom way better than people where even predicting.

could you test an external USB CD/DVD drive?

I've got a 32GB UK model and have used an external drive to install a program - worked fine. The full-sized USB 3.0 port is in the keyboard dock.

I'm having issues with mine, not sure whether it's related to Windows 8.1 and/or drivers or the unit itself so am doing some more tests today before I either send it back or get it replaced. Really like the thing itself though so if they'll swap rather than repair then I'll happily take that, it's just what I needed (which is a portable development machine with long battery).

Got mine from laptopsdirect last Thursday although I do wish I'd waited until the weekend and could have picked one up in John Lewis with that extra year's guarantee... doh.

The 32GB model only has around 15GB free but that's not really a problem for me, I never planned on using this for anything other than work anyway. I can see it being a pain if someone was thinking of using one as their main machine though (but I'd think it'd be a little small for that, perhaps...).

Oh, and also: there's a recovery partition on the 32GB model that DOESN'T eat into the 32GB. There's either a 40GB eMMC (if such exists) or 32GB + 8GB - the recovery partition doesn't form part of your overall storage, which is good.

Last edited:
Could anyone explain to me about the use of a Micro SD, obviously the 64gb isn't available in the UK and so was either looking at importing a 64gb from the USA or buying a 32gb UK one and sticking in a 64gb Micro SD. Thing is does the Micro SD fit well inside the T100 as in not sticking out the side and also does the card count as additional storage for program installations and the like or is it external storage. Lastly can anyone comment on the speed of it compared to the on-board memory?

Thanks for the help people :)

Could anyone explain to me about the use of a Micro SD, obviously the 64gb isn't available in the UK and so was either looking at importing a 64gb from the USA or buying a 32gb UK one and sticking in a 64gb Micro SD. Thing is does the Micro SD fit well inside the T100 as in not sticking out the side and also does the card count as additional storage for program installations and the like or is it external storage. Lastly can anyone comment on the speed of it compared to the on-board memory?

Thanks for the help people :)

It sticks out VERY slightly (less than 1mm) so that you can push it in to release it.

It appears as a separate drive (D: normally) for Windows, so you can install stuff to it by changing the location in the installer, so if you left it in permanently that would work fine.

I had 40MB/sec out of it vs. 100MB/sec for the eMMC drive, but that was limited by my SD card - you can get quicker ones and these may perform better (but I don't have one to test with). I saw some 80MB/sec 32GB cards for £27 online, but only found 30MB/sec 64GB cards when I was looking earlier.

It sticks out VERY slightly (less than 1mm) so that you can push it in to release it.

It appears as a separate drive (D: normally) for Windows, so you can install stuff to it by changing the location in the installer, so if you left it in permanently that would work fine.

I had 40MB/sec out of it vs. 100MB/sec for the eMMC drive, but that was limited by my SD card - you can get quicker ones and these may perform better (but I don't have one to test with). I saw some 80MB/sec 32GB cards for £27 online, but only found 30MB/sec 64GB cards when I was looking earlier.

Ok Thanks very much for the info, obviously that's slower but still enough for everything but stupidly high bit rate video which I will not be watching anyway. if you were me would you import or buy the UK version? I could get the US including delivery for about $500 so about £313 but that obviously has US keyboard and charger... dilema :/

30MB/sec is MORE than enough for high-def video - even Blu-rays will rarely exceed 40Mb/sec, which is 5MB/sec.

I imported, so have a 64GB model, and paid £340 for one that had already been imported and was for sale on ebay. US keyboard isn't ideal, US charger was no great problem for me as I have a bunch universal adaptors which I use for foreign travel anyway.

OK great thanks, Think I might go for the UK 32gb from John Lewis as it come with a 2 Year warranty and I'll just whack in a SD card when I get low on space.

Would you know whether it is possible to use either SD, SDHC or SD XC-1?

Very impressive for what is "just a netbook" is the vibe the so called YouTube reviewers seem to give.

I've waited so long now and come into a bit more spare cash I'm holding off to see what Dell puts out at the end of this week...

Hey all.

Just sold a Dell Latitude 10 so deciding whether to pay extra for one of these or wait for another Latitude 10 to come up in the outlet for about £220 all in like I paid for my last one of those as the Venue Pro 11 if it ever arrives in the UK looks like it will be £500 for similar to the T100.

Has anyone noticed the build quality issues that some online reviews have been mentioning?

Has anyone noticed the build quality issues that some online reviews have been mentioning?

No complaints with build quality here, couldn't get in to the internals on mine as all the shut lines are too tight to get pry tools in to and I didn't want to damage it. The materials are a bit meh in places though - mainly the glossy plastic back to the tablet.

I used the Latitude 10 hooked up to a large HD monitor and was amazed how well I managed using it as desktop replacement so think the T100 will be even better. My main concerns though are the lack of a proper docking solution when compared to the Dell and the battery not being user replaceable. However as this has USB 3.0 I know there are third party solutions allowing you to drive 2 external monitors and your keyboard, mouse etc but has anyone seen anyone open one up to see how hard the battery will be to replace IF you can get one a few years down the line?

has anyone seen anyone open one up to see how hard the battery will be to replace IF you can get one a few years down the line?

I've not seen any taken apart yet, but my opinion after a brief try would be you'll damage it.

The chassis back and screen aren't held together with screws, they are bonded, so you have to force something in to the gap and pry it apart so you'll end up at best scratching plastics, at worst causing real damage. Then ones you've got it apart you'll need to find a way of sticking it back together again - it'll never go back like new.

The Latitude 10 is a business orientated device so is designed to accommodate these things, the T100 is a consumer device so is cheaper but more disposable as a result.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom