ASUS RT N56U - Suddenly poor WAN to LAN speed

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jameson_uk, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Looking for some thoughts on where to go next as running out of ideas.

I have an ASUS RT N56U router pluged into a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL modem. All has been good until a few weeks ago when my net speed has dropped to almost unusable speeds.

Did some digging and this only seems to be the WAN to LAN link on the router. I connected up a laptop using a cable direct to the modem and I was consistently getting 8Mbps on various speed tests and browsing is fine. I connect up the router and again via a wired connection to the laptop I am now getting 1.5 Mbps and browsing is painfully slow.

I have tried different wires between the modem and router and also unplugged everything else from the router to make sure there is no interference. I have tried different LAN ports to rule out a dodgy one (and confirmed the same speeds via wireless).

I then figured that maybe one of the firmware updates broke it so reverted back to a previous that I know was fine but still the same.

QoS is definitely off on the router and I can not see any other options that might affect the throughput.

Other than something failing on the router is there anything else I should consider first? Has anyone seen similar? Could this actually be something else manifesting itself as a problem that looks like a faulty router?

2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Anyone? Currently downloading a 9MB file at 30 kbps .....

3. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Unless you've made a configuration change to your router prior to the loss of speed, and given that you've got no issue with a direct connection to your modem, I suspect a hardware issue with the router. I would suggest contacting the store you purchase it from and initiate an exchange/return.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    Who's your ISP...?

I've had experience with mine in that, if they see the line going up and down frequently ("flapping") they seriously throttle down the line rate until it "stabalises" whence it comes back up again. (Takes days, sometimes weeks.)

If you've been powering your router off and on a bit (as one would tend when it's new,) maybe you've hit that.

5. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    ISP is O2 and I don't think it is that as the modem is working fine.
    I dug out an old router I forgot I had and the problems are gone but the router is a bit crap... At least it shows that it is a problem with the router.

Router is 11 months old so lets see if I can get it replaced....