• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ASUS RT-AX88U for M500 Package

Burakiosaurus

Hi All,

Currently using the Virgin Media Super Hub 3 in my Bungalow.

Home office is in the converted attic and over Wi-Fi, I can sometimes get 400+ Mbps download speeds. Most of the time, it is around 100-200 though.

Looking for something more stable and faster though and have read good things on here and online re the ASUS RT-AX88U router, including the ability to use it with ASUS AiMesh. Current Hub 3 is in the Lounge and WiFi signal to other rooms can be around the 100-150 range too.

Anyone have this router at the moment? Currently £209.99 for Amazon Prime day, down from £299.

psychopomp1

I have the Netgear RAX200 which is practically the same as the Asus AX88U (has same BCM radios & CPU) but is tri-band instead of dual-band. I can easily hit 800+ Mbps over wifi 6 and over 600 Mbps on wifi 5 with this on my 1 Gig TalkTalk FTTP line. I'm fairly certain you will find the Asus RT-AX88U a significantly better router that your Virgin kit, worst case scenario you can send it back to Amazon for a full refund. You've got nothing to lose :)

Zarf2007

Get the Asus AX86U, it’s newer tech

ggwoodland

Hi - I have just bought the Asus RT-AX55 as I thought I would improve my wi-fi connectivity. I'm waiting for it to be delivered as it out of stock at the moment. But I do have a question related to the installing the router if I may use this thread for that purpose. I'm pretty confident of changing my SuperHub 3 to modem mode - it is what happens afterwards that I have a question on. Do I need a wired connection to the router to configure the router as my iMac, iPad and iPhone are all connected wirelessly. I could carry upstairs my iMac and configure the router via ethernet if required though - George

outoftheknow

Hi - I have just bought the Asus RT-AX55 as I thought I would improve my wi-fi connectivity. I'm waiting for it to be delivered as it out of stock at the moment. But I do have a question related to the installing the router if I may use this thread for that purpose. I'm pretty confident of changing my SuperHub 3 to modem mode - it is what happens afterwards that I have a question on. Do I need a wired connection to the router to configure the router as my iMac, iPad and iPhone are all connected wirelessly. I could carry upstairs my iMac and configure the router via ethernet if required though - George
Not necessarily since you can get into the new router GUI using it’s IP address. As long as the router switches on with wifi on.

just be aware that often you will lose connectivity with some changes and it can be a pain.

For setup of modem or router I always use wired direct into the device just to be sure what I want to happen happens.......

Bridging modems I would always go wired too personally. Carry it down once, sort everything so it works as desired and the take things where you want them :)

oneman

In case you router still hasn't arrived yet,

You can do it all wirelessly. The router will have a default SSID and password which is on the label on the bottom of the router. Then open a web browser and on a Asus router when you open the web browser it will open the router configuration page else the IP address is 192.168.1.1. I think the first thing is change admin password, reboots and then it takes you through the setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom