1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus Radeon 9800 XT graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm thinking of getting the Asus Radeon 9800 XT, which has a video-in socket. It also has (unlike other video cards of the same chipset) 2 cooling fans. Does anyone know of this card? I'm concerned how noisy the card may be with two fans. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Are you set on getting the XT variety?

I'm also a games player, as well as wanting a HCPC. I opted for the 9800 pro, and replaced the fan with a Zalman heat pipe and fan.

Now its super quiet and runs everything smoothly

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks UrbanT,

Did your 9800 Pro have two fans (like the 9800 XT) or just one. How noisy was it before you replaced the fan(s)?

Thanks.

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks UrbanT,

Did your 9800 Pro have two fans (like the 9800 XT) or just one. How noisy was it before you replaced the fan(s)?

Thanks.

5. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I fitted the ASUS 9800XT with its two fans and found it too noisy for my lounge (ran it for a couple of weeks like that). Eventually fitted the Zalman Heatsink and the optional fan (which blows down onto the card and heatsink. I found that not only did it run quieter but also reduced the temps. down between 8 - 10 degrees C. The only downside is that the Zalman product doesn't have a facility to connect to the Graphics Card's rpm monitor (not really much of a problem).

6. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Esta56.

How noisy is "noisy", with the Asus's original fans?

I too will be having my computer running in the lounge, but it'll be in the other end of the room from where we sit and watch TV. If the Asus's fan can't be heard from about 4 or 5 metres away, then that's fine.

Have you used the TV-out socket at all on this card? I'm wondering what's the max output resolution from that particular socket, can it be adjusted to higher resolutions other than standard TV (640 x 480 pixels). I hope to be connecting the TV-output to my plasma TV which is capable of high resolutions, so I'm wondering if the card can output hi-res from that socket.

Thanks.

7. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One more question, Esta56: how chunky are the original cooling units on the Asus Radeon 9800XT ? On the Sapphire version of this card, the heatsink gets in the way of the adjacent PCI slot, making the PCI slot unusable. Is that the same case with the Asus card?

Thanks.

8. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How noisy? Well I can still hear the PC now but it is acceptable. It is in front of me underneath the Plasma about 3 metres away. The noise is about half as much as it was when the oem fans were fitted. It is difficult to tell you that it's not noisy on what is a subjective issue. To some it would still be noisy, others it would be fine and yet others it would be barely a whisper. If you going to position the PC behind you and some distance away then this will help reduce the effect.

The ASUS card is no different in size in that it will effectively block off the adjacent PCI slot - not a problem for my set-up.

I'm using the VGA output into the PC input of my Plasma. I can set any resolution I want using the Powerstrip software. Actually I feed the output from the PC first to a VGA splitter with one output to the Plasma and one to my PJ (via an 8 metre cable) behind me.

Hope this helps.

9. consoleplus

consoleplus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Slightly off topic, hope it is ok.

Does anyone owning a Asus Radeon 9800 XT know the physical Length of the card? Just i am thinking of getting a Strata case which is only 260mm deep, I would like to put a 9800XT in if possible, but am worried it may physically not fit, if anyone could assure me either way it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt