ASUS Pundit-R (ATi chipset)

D

DigiDunk

Hi, Has anyone built a system using the ASUS Pundit-R barebones unit. If so what resolutions does it support. Does it do 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 Whats peoples thoughts on this as a media system. I don't want a cube system and I like the form factor of this unit. Not looking for anything fancy

Not used a Rundit-R, but I do use motherboards based on ATI chipsets.
The RS300 is a little old now (also know as IGP9100), the RS350 (IGP9100PRO) being the ltaest and treatest s478 version. Still as far as integrated Gfx are concerned they're about as good as you'll get. And yes they will do the resolutions you ask with a little tweaking

DigiDunk said:
Hi, Has anyone built a system using the ASUS Pundit-R barebones unit. If so what resolutions does it support. Does it do 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 Whats peoples thoughts on this as a media system. I don't want a cube system and I like the form factor of this unit. Not looking for anything fancy
I've built 3 of these things. I'll let you know tonight when I get home about the resolution. I'm only running 1024 x 768 on a 19" DVI TFT.

I much perfer this than the Shuttle SN41G2 that I also have at home. Only draw back is the SPIF connector is on the front. Very quite. Excellent value of mone.

You'd better be quick, I have a queue of people at work asking me to build these for them once they've seen it.

DigiDunk said:
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 768
1280 x 1024

Thanks for the info. I have a couple if iDeq units which are very quiet. How quiet is the Pundit-R. Also what Optical drives do you fit ? Any to avoid and did you have to remove the faceplate from the optical drive drawer to stop it fouling ? Thanks

All three pundits that I've built are very quite and makes less noise than my DVD recorder's fan. Compared to say an XBOX it makes around 1/3 of the noise of that. The fan can speed up to make a very lound noise (noticed during the first second of boot up), but I've never seen the fan come up to anything like that with the low temperatures of 39-41C that the Celeron 320 runs at.

With regards to optical drives I've had around 6 different units of CD/CDRW/DVD/DVDRW in the three units and everyone performed faultlessly. If you can, get short drive that will be best (put one of these in for a mate's mum yesterday http://www.savastore.com/productinf...store&product_id=10270999&pid=207&rstrat=3075
) as the room between the back of the drive and the PSU fan is very close. However, I would normally stick with Liteon for CDRW and NEC or Pioneer for DVDRW. Stay away from MSI and other less reliable or cheap makes. No need to remove the drive door at all. Lots of space and the mechanical eject button line up on every unit I'd put in. The preset depth of the eject was spot on.

Hi 888, Thanks for all that info, its just what I was looking for. Now to decide if I go for the black or silver. Its a pity thet never put a compact flash slot in but I suppose I can just use the compact flash PCMCIA adapter that I carry around in my ThinkPad X30

I can echo the above, have built several, using 3 GHz Prescotts, and once the BIOS is updated they run very quietly. Used unaltered NEC DVDRW drives without problems, and had them running at 1280x768 on a 17" widescreen TFT. The silver ones look a touch nicer than the black, I think.

Mark

I am just about to build one of these, just waiting for the CPU to arrive. What fan is controled by the fan control, the CPU or Power supply ? Also is it progresive and handled by the BIOS. What do you do to set it up ? I am curious about how quite this system is compared to my iDeq cube, Thanks

Just built this system and I am well impressed. I have it running 1600 x 1200 via DVi and at the same time 1280 x 1024 on VGA . The system runs quieter (2.8 P4) that my iDeq cube system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom