Asus P7P55D going bad?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by chipray, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chipray

chipray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has anybody here seen this symptom? On boot-up, POST reports 1023 MB of RAM. There is 3 GB installed. The motherboard's support DVD has a "Motherboard Information" app that reports 1024 MB memory installed in each of sockets 0, 1, and 2 and nothing installed in socket 3. Exactly as expected.

I have tried re-setting the BIOS to default settings. I have updated to a later version of BIOS. I have tried removing and replacing the RAM sticks one and two at a time, but at boot-up POST reports the same whether there are one, two or three sticks installed. Windows also reports 1 G of RAM however many sticks are installed.

The memory is a matched set of 3 x 1 GB DDR3-1333 by G-Skill and each module works fine if installed individually.

2. chipray

chipray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    O.K. I have done some more swapping RAM modules. Each one worked fine individually, so I re-installed all of them and pressed the RAM-OK button and crossed my fingers. After changing the BIOS settings and re-booting, 2 Gig is now detected at POST and in Windows.

Better than only one gig I suppose, but have I missed something?

3. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, I think that you have to fill all 4 ram slots, the slots I believe are paired and therefore you need to fill the 4?:)

4. chipray

chipray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is beginning to look that way, but the pairing is not how one would expect from the handbook - in matched-colour sockets. The MoBo handbook lists loads of 3-module combinations but only illustrates 2 and 4-module. It states that a single module should be installed in one of the blue sockets and a second in the other blue one, but that does not work - the only way I can get a single module to work is by installing it in the blue socket furthest from the CPU. The second module added to the next (black) socket gave me the 2 Gig. Adding the third module to one of the remaining sockets made no difference. My next attempt will be to try the last socket and do another RAM OK button operation. This is a pain because it resets BIOS to default, which does not boot up at all so I have to change the boot-up sequence and drive priorities and get rid of the ASUS splash screen every time.

I do not have any more 1 Gig modules, so I cannot try a fourth. Only RAM modules up to 4 Gig are supported, and the only spare ones I have are a couple of 8 Gig ones awaiting a new project build around a later ASUS MoBo! I might start all over with a single 4 G module if I can find one locally (I am in rural France).