Asus or Abit mobo

sticker

Standard Member
Hi,
Just about to start on my HTPC, got a Accent HT200 case. Into this I'm going to use one of the new AMD XP2500+ mobile CPU's which I intend to o/c. BUT I can't decide on which mobo, either the Abit NF7S v2 or the Asus A7N8XE deluxe. :(

Any one got any views on the pros and cons of these two

Regards
John

richgtfc

Standard Member
I've just built a very similar HTPC, ie Accent HT 200S, AMD 2500XP+ Barton, and I went for the Asus A7N8X-E deluxe. Have no major problems yet (only 2 weeks old), but the only prob I had was there's only 1 USB header (for 2 USB ports) on the mobo. The Accent case has front USB ports which connect to the mobo directly. However, I also have a Mitsumi 7-in-1 card reader in one of the front bays (DVD-RW in the other), which also connects to the mobo directly. Do a search on my recent posts in this forum to see more info.

Oh yes, you'll need the bank panel thing you get with your motherboard, not the one with case. Just remember to fit it before you screw everything together, otherwise you'll just have to take it all out again....like I did :blush:

Cheers
Rich

B

BOD

I just got myself the NF7s V2 and plonked in a standard Barton 2500 (locked wk41) and instantly overclocked it to a Barton 3200 (400fsb) without a hitch (upped cpu core voltage from 1.65 to 1.725). No extra cooling. Running FPS games on it - the lot. Well chuffed.

sticker

Standard Member
Thx for the response guys

Hawklord

Another NF7-S V2 user here:)

Make sure you remember to get two sticks of memory to make use of the dual channel memory timings. This will give you a 10-15% boost in performance over just using 1 big stick.
Had a few issues with tha cpu fan censor though initially which made the computer shutdown with alarm bells ringing lol. A suitable replacement fan remedied things and I've had no problems since. The board is a good overclocker by all accounts (I have everything at stock-not felt the need as games run smoothly) and gives good performance imo.
As long as you choose an nforce2 board I don't think you can go far wrong:)

Zor

Standard Member
Just built a system around a Asus A7N8XE deluxe. Had a problem with the system intermitantly not posting (Not an uncommon fault once I started looking) This MB seems to be very picky about it's ram. I was using Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT as recommended by Asus. Turned out to be a faulty Dimm!

lynx

Another Abit fan here -NF7 V2. Look at the newer boards if clocking is your thing as i understand they permit 'hot tunning' ie o/c from within Windows. Abit also has a download which checks your bios version and if an update is available, downloads and installs from within Windows. Abit = :smashin:

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/motherboard-reviews/1283_2.html

sticker

Standard Member
Thanks again for the responses guy's. I'll do some more digging at the weekend and report back on my decision on Sunday.

Regards
John

james.miller

Novice Member
the nf7-s is definatly superior to any asus nforce2 motherboard, and doesn't suffer from the bios corruption like the asus's do.

Honestly though, id would go for either of them now. DFI is where it's happening. The DFI infinity would be my choice (and i have an abit nf7-s) as those things are hitting crazy-high speeds when overclocked.

sticker

Standard Member
James,
Is that DFI the LAN party version?

Regards
John

james.miller

Novice Member
no. The infinity is basically the same board as the lanparty but without a few of the features the lanparty has like u/v reative pci slots and a few other things.

sticker

Standard Member

sticker

Standard Member
Cheers James

sticker

Standard Member
Think I may have found it here Holly Computers for £61 ex del. But is there more than one revision of this board? I found that the LANParty version has a revision A & B and the B is the one to go for.

???

james.miller

Novice Member
trust me Kramer, they TOTALLY outclass our nf7-s's

sticker

Standard Member
Been reading some other forums and this mobo seems the why to go short of the AMD64, if I can determine if there is a revision B and this board being sold in my previous post s a revison B I'll definitely

Cheers
John

sticker

Standard Member
Ok, thanks everyone for their thoughts, decided to get the DFI ultra infinity, seemed a good board and worth the £61

Regards
John

J8NTS

Standard Member
Both Abit and Asus boards are good (I have both). The DFI looks great but I don't have any experience of it. Does the DFI NFII Ultra Infinity support Dolby Digital Encoding (nVidia Soundstorm)? This was important to me, and may be to others.

I've just replace my Abit N7F-S v2 with a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. This change wasn't intended as an upgrade, as both boards are very similar in terms of features. Can't comment on overclocking as I haven't bothered with that since the Celeron 300A!

Few observations:

1. Can now run my Radeon at AGPx8. This never worked with my Abit.

2. My Nebula DigiTV card now works much better. The Abit proved to be very troublesome with this for me.

3. I now have two network ports, including one gigabit.

4. The reason for the change - Digital Coaxial audio output. The Abit has optical and I've been finding it difficult to source an optical cable of sufficient length.

I'm now happier with the Asus, but I'm sure others have equally valid reasons for preferring the Abit.

Jon.

Molly

Standard Member
I also had problems with my ABIT NF-7 MB and a Nebula PCI card. I had to replace the PCI card for a USB version (not ideal I would prefer a PCI version).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

Wharfedale introduces new Diamond 12 Series speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TVs available in more Currys PC World stores
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Il Cremonese ex3me special edition speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF unveils LS50 Meta speaker and S2 Floor Stand