• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Asus O' Play Blu Ray over 10/100 no like

8ace

Decided on a gap filler in the form of an Asus O!Play HDP-R1 as my 3 yr old is sumvision HD2 packed up the other day.

It's on a 10/100 network same as the sumvision was but struggles with the likes Avatar blu ray and some HDDVD titles as Mkv's more so with DD+ titles when lots of stuff is going on. My pc plays them fine from my NAS as did the sumvision, should the O play have problems with this? it claims to do M2ts DD+ etc , some of which are ok but not all :confused: any one else have prob's with stuttering playback & audio drop out?

cheers

next010

Distinguished Member
The Oplay BD players are based off a Marvell chipset different from typical media player chips, it hasn't gotten much attention so the platform is in pretty rough shape.

Make sure the firmware is up to date, Asus last released one is 1.06.03PAL, also I assume your using a DLNA server but if not then use that to access your media instead of browsing network shares.

8ace

sorry for the confusion but it's blu ray mkv's that have probs and some HDDVD mkv's the player is Asus O!Play HDP-R1 streamer

next010

Distinguished Member
Try accessing the media through the DLNA server on the NAS on the OPlay and see if the stuttering disappears.

The HD-DVD mkv may be caused by MakeMKV if you used that on the HD-DVD's, it doesnt properly rip them, use this manual method instead.

8ace

Try accessing the media through the DLNA server on the NAS on the OPlay and see if the stuttering disappears.

The HD-DVD mkv may be caused by MakeMKV if you used that on the HD-DVD's, it doesnt properly rip them, use this manual method instead.

The same Mkv's play fine on my pc and on the old HD2 I had flawlessly.

how would I use the DNLA thingy? not clued up on that I just plugged the drives in when I set it up and used Raid 5 as I remember

next010

Distinguished Member
HD-DVD's generated by MakeMKV dont properly remove a video pulldown feature which can cause stuttering on some players, PC might be okay. But if the HD2 played them okay then it's probably not that.

Your NAS should have a UPnP/DLNA media server feature on it, turn it on add folders to be monitored by the media server (most NAS ones default to pre-set folders) and then look under UPnP on the OPlay.

If you cant locate it what make NAS is it ?

8ace

the NAS is a 4bay Netgear Nv+ v2 i'll have a look in a bit to see if I can find it on the control panel on RAIDar

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom