Asus O!Play BDS-700

Viking61

Did anyone buy the Asus O!Play BDS-700 yet? To me the player looks very interesting:
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS O!Play BDS-700

What will be the dealbreaker for me is if the regionfree hack below works or not. Can someone with this player test it and report if it works, and if it works for both DVD and BD?

1. Power on the player.
2. Move the cursor to SETUP and select it.
3. Keep cursor highlight on Playback.
b. Key in the number 0123456789 in sequence by using the
number keys on the remote control.
4. A dialog window pops up showing the current BD/DVD region
code setting. Pressing the left/right key on the remote
control to change it.
5. Press the return key back to SETUP menu.
6. It is done!

Last edited:

Boris Blank

I bought a Nixeus Fusion XS that uses the same Marvell chipset (but does not have bluray drive built-in), PQ is excellent with QDEO processing so I imagine the Asus will be of the same quality. The lack of SMB on the Asus is the dealbreaker for me.

From Glenn

Standard Member
Yes, Both DVD and BD codes can be changed, thank-you very much!!!!:clap:
Asus phone rep told me they couldn't be changed and it was a hardware lock ?
The player I received was a DVD region 3 , changed to region 1, BD region A,
left alone. It also came with a Chinese lettered remote, I relabled to English.
I like the player very much, very good picture quality!:)

Viking61

Yes, Both DVD and BD codes can be changed, thank-you very much!!!!:clap:
Asus phone rep told me they couldn't be changed and it was a hardware lock ?
The player I received was a DVD region 3 , changed to region 1, BD region A,
left alone. It also came with a Chinese lettered remote, I relabled to English.
I like the player very much, very good picture quality!:)
Great news :)

The ability to change both DVD and BD region made me order one also. It costs "only" £160.00 here in Norway. Sounds like a good price considering the specifications. I have read in the owners thread that the player on its current firmware has serious problems with streaming HD content, but I will use it for playing DVDs, blu-rays and now and then from USB-stick. Hopefully Asus will come with a firmware upgrade that fixes the streaming problems.

Viking61

Finally got my Asus BDS-700, and I must say I am really impressed. It has 3D, twin HDMI and lots of functionality. The main benefit for me is that you can easily change both DVD and Blu-Ray region by pressing a few buttons on the remote. This works with the original firmware.

The main drawback earlier was that it had some problems with streaming. From what I read in other forums the latest firmware release (ver 1.05.01 on 21.05.2012) fixed most of those problems. The only thing left (as I understand it) is streaming of 3D ISO files.

mani0

Standard Member
can any one post a link as to were this is available.
The only places I have seen it is German based retailers and on ebay.

I purchased mine from amazon.co.de for just under £170 which has now replaced my Pioneer BDP-LX55.
Brilliant player so far, only prob is that some 3D ISO's stutter, some other forums mentioned playing off USB powered hard drives @ 7200 works better which I have yet to try.
Does any one know the name of the app that allows a smart phone android/iphone as a media remote, can't find it?

Viking61

Last edited:

Viking61

I still get shudder on playing HD MKV-files from my USB stick. So the new firmware didn't solve that. That is quite disappointing as the picture quality is great and the ability to change DVD and BD region is also a big plus. I hope the next firmware upgrade will solve the shudder issue once and for all.

dazm41

hi guys any news on mkv play back has it been sorted out yet looking at getting one of these to replace my boxee box

sirlayabout

any updates on this? have the firmware updates fixed any more of the streaming issues?

Can you stream 2d iso files ?

- Aaron

Viking61

Not yet any new firmware after ver 1.05.01.

You can stream both 2D and 3D iso files, but as mentioned before there is some "shudder" now and then.

rolandrat

Not yet any new firmware after ver 1.05.01.

You can stream both 2D and 3D iso files, but as mentioned before there is some "shudder" now and then.
How are you streaming, by streaming I mean over network (dlna) as iso files are not compatible with dlna, from hard disk yes they work, just not over dlna.

Also another major issue with this player is 24/50/60hz auto switching on mkv network or hard disk files, it doesnt and so is fairly useless in that respect, holding out for a new firmware before i ditch it.

Viking61

How are you streaming, by streaming I mean over network (dlna) as iso files are not compatible with dlna, from hard disk yes they work, just not over dlna.
Sorry, my mistake. I meant from USB drive.

Viking61

Viking,

could you please tell me if its possible to use the remote web browser to navigate through files in a USB disk,CD/DVD, etc?
I don't have the player anymore myself, so I can't test it. But I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible.

Antti3

Novice Member
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm thinking about buying this player and I was wondering does the region hack still work with the latest firmware update? Thanks in advance! :)

From Glenn

Standard Member
Does the region hack still work with the latest firmware update? Yes!
While playing back mp3's from a usb stick, after about 3 mins.screen goes into a screen saver mode ASUS logo moving around, very annoying! Is there a setting to stop this, or do we need a firmware update?:lease:

vale69

hi everyone,

anyone knows whether the region hack has limitations ? I mean I remember several players/models where you could only use the trick up to five times and then could not change back to your region :( :suicide:

vale69

cool :smashin:

thanks, I'll try the trick then :thumbsup:

Iggymunze

Standard Member
Hello, I just signed and regards to you all... Please, can somebody help me. Have player for about two months. Is it some solution for srt. subtitle? In divx format player can not read most of the subtitles. Especially one with Serbian letters. Any help, please???

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Cambridge Audio unveils new-look SX speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google unveils Pixel 5 and 4a 5G smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches new Chromecast with Google TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 30th September 2020
  • By Phil Hinton