Asus O!Play - €119

Icm76

Novice Member
Looks like one to keep an eye on! Early preview makes this media player sound almost too good to be true: ASUS to introduce O!Play media player

Asus press release: http://www.asus.com/News.aspx?N_ID=wUbKQ3nv6gSQaey2

Connectors
  • eSATA
  • USB
  • HDMI
  • composite video
  • optical digital audio
  • stereo audio
Video
  • Mpeg 1, 2, 4, DivX (1920x1080p)
  • H.264, VC-1, RM/RMVB
  • AVI, VOB, MOV, MKV, ASF, Xvid, WMV
Audio
  • Mp3, WAV, PCM/LPCM, AAC, Dolby Digital, FLAC, DTS (!), AIFF, OGG

Last edited:

STdrez625

Banned
Two things I'm noticing
ESATA .. really speeds things up
OPtic ... Brilliant! You can get a drink out of it as well

All it needs is added crisp dispenser..

Why on Erath they've bovvered with RmVB .. Jurassic Codec :shrugs:

NeilF

"The player is a lot faster and more responsive than models we have tested so far." - So it appears the Realtek 128X may be better than the Sigma chips?

I do hope "a lot faster" includes jpeg photos!!

Downinja

A lot better than the sigma 863x which is about 2 years old now.

I want to see comparisons with the 864x

Aweb

Novice Member
certainly looks interesting! I'm wondering on the price! :):thumbsup:

ganon

This is great, just when i orederd a hdx 1000 better cand cheaper nmt are coming out

NeilF

This is great, just when i orederd a hdx 1000 better cand cheaper nmt are coming out
Well, at the moment we have a couple of players with this new Realtek 128X chip onboard, and an annoucement due about the new PCH player in about 2 weeks...

If the new Realtek chip is better than the existing 863X sigma chips we're all laughing! As long as it's as good as the existing Sigma chip and can handle photos (jpgs) better/faster, I'll be over the moon.

As for the new PCH, going to be very interesting to see when it will be released, and how powerful it actually is. For many people who just want a simple media player, it may well be the new Realtek based solutions, or the existing WDTV are far more cost effective!

NeilF

So, given the O!Play has Esata, does this mean you could buy two of these - NEWlink USB 2.0 / eSATA Docking Station for SATA HDD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (USB2/eSata dock) and connect one to the Asus, and one to your PC. All you do then is buy a nice SATA hard drive and plug it into the appropriate dock. ie: To put new media onto it, remove from the Asus, plug into the PC, drag and drop and then plug back into the Asus' dock.

Evil Engineer

Novice Member
So, given the O!Play has Esata, does this mean you could buy two of these - NEWlink USB 2.0 / eSATA Docking Station for SATA HDD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (USB2/eSata dock) and connect one to the Asus, and one to your PC. All you do then is buy a nice SATA hard drive and plug it into the appropriate dock. ie: To put new media onto it, remove from the Asus, plug into the PC, drag and drop and then plug back into the Asus' dock.
Probably. As long as it supports NTFS formatted hard drives.

NeilF

Probably. As long as it supports NTFS formatted hard drives.
Cannot imagine it would not...

So as long as the ESATA port turns the hard drive off when you turn the unit off (so the drive isn't spinning), perfect!

So you have:-
1) The quickest hard drive connection possible for any media player (eSATA).
2) The easiest/quickest way to get media onto the media player. Just move a single hard drive... No cables or anything to worry about!

Can't help but wonder though if eSATA is a bit overkill? Would the unit really be able to make any use of the additional speed over USB2? Guess the answer is yes, else why have it :)

Last edited:

Downinja

Normally esata so you can transfer to the internal drive, the processor wont need that sort of transfer rate :)

NeilF

Normally esata so you can transfer to the internal drive, the processor wont need that sort of transfer rate :)
But it doesn't have an internal drive? Does it?

NeilF

Bet you can put a 2.5" disk in it, same as xtreamer.
Don't think I'd bother with the internal drive if only because of the hassle getting large amount of media onto it. An external USB device would be best (IMHO) so can just plug it into your PC. Guess like the WDTV just use a passport drive!

So two questions:-
1) I suspect given the processing power of these units, there'd really be no real difference between an internal harddrive or an external USB drive's performance?
2) So the ESata is ONLY to have direct access to an internal drive? And not to plug an external drive into it (via Esata instead of USB)?

NeilF

NeilF

This preview assumes the same as me, that the eSATA is to connect an external drive to the unit...

Connectivity includes HDMI, composite video, optical digital audio, and even an eSATA port for external hard drives full of media files.

So maybe the unit can make use of the additional speed over USB? Wonder how...

Downinja

Yes, the PCH can use USB to connect a HDD to the unit. But you can either playback files on that external drive (that has a max of approx 40Mbs and as a result only requires that bandwidth), OR you an transfer the files on that external drive to the internal drive, that will pretty much use as much bandwidth as possible.

Esata would be more useful than USB in this situation as it's faster than USB.

NeilF

Yes, the PCH can use USB to connect a HDD to the unit. But you can either playback files on that external drive (that has a max of approx 40Mbs and as a result only requires that bandwidth), OR you an transfer the files on that external drive to the internal drive, that will pretty much use as much bandwidth as possible.

Esata would be more useful than USB in this situation as it's faster than USB.
Ahh! So you recon the eSata on the Asus IS to allow an external drive to be connected (like USB). But this speed is of no important to the actual speed of the device as regards media & navigation, where USB would be just a fast (in all likelyhood).

The question is, does it have room for an internal drive - There's been no mention of it at all. Personally I prefer the idea of an external drive myself for the reasons I've described before (ease/speed of updating the unit).

Last edited:

Downinja

I think it will an option extra like the xtreamer, a lot of the time the boards are close to reference from the chipset maker, and thus have similar spec.

NeilF

I think it will an option extra like the xtreamer, a lot of the time the boards are close to reference from the chipset maker, and thus have similar spec.
I really don't recon it has an internal drive, as not a simple article has commented on it... Guess we'll find out for sure in the coming weeks.

note: WDTV and PCH use the same chip, but one doesn't have an internal drive.

Downinja

I could be wrong, but if it doesn't then there isn't much use (aside from additional methods of conectivity) to the Esata port.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published