1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS Nvidia N6600GT to JVC LT-26S60B LCD TV - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rnjmorris, Aug 24, 2005.

1. rnjmorris

rnjmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

After lurking here for longer than I care to recall trying to find an answer to this I'm going to have to admit defeat and ask a question. Be gentle with me!

We recently took delivery of a JVC LT-26S60B LCD TV (http://jvc.nl/product.php?id=LT-26S60BU&catid=63). I'd like to be able to play DVDs from my PC on it but for some reason the picture quality I'm getting is poor (far worse than DVD playback from the same PC onto our old 28" JVC CRT). The picture quality appears equally poor when playing DVDs using our old and cheap LG DVD player (DVD5084), although this also produces good results on the CRT. To clarify what I mean by "poor", the picture seems grainy and nowhere near as sharp as I had hoped. I've read about the "screen door" effect on LCDs and perhaps that's what I'm seeing but it doesn't appear to be related to viewing distance.

A few more details on what I'm using and how I've connected things up:

My graphics card is an ASUS Nvidia N6600GT which offers VGA, S-Video and DVI outputs. As the computer's monitor is connected by VGA and I don't have a DVI to HDMI cable (yet) I've connected to the TV by S-Video. I then set the Nvidia display properties to "clone" and make the TV the primary display. I'm using the VLC media player to play the DVDs.

The DVD player (LG DVD5084) is connected via a Scart cable to one of the Scart sockets on the TV.

Am I doing something stupid with the above (wouldn't be the first time!)? Have I missed something obvious? Should I invest in a DVI to HDMI cable and use Powerstrip to improve the picture on the LCD? Am I right in thinking that Powerstrip is NOT used when I activate the TV-out S-video connection to the TV? Is the poor picture quality related to the lack of progressive scan capabilities from the PC and old DVD player?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and pointers would be very gratefully received! Many thanks in advance.

Rod

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Hello :)
    This is not an area that I am particularly good at, but until an expert comes along, thought I'd reply - seeing as its your first post and all....!

The link to your LCD tv didn't work, so I would suggest doing two things.

1/ S-video is not the best quality connection, VGA is better and DVI even better, so just test out those two first, if you like the quality you can always change your graphics card to one that does dual VGA/DVI, they are not that expensive. So just plug your PC straight into the LCD via VGA or DVI.

2/ Find out what the native resolution of your screen is and match the resolution that your pc is outputting to that (eg 800 x 600, 1024 x 576, 1280 x 720) check the manual if you need to. Also check what refresh rates the LCD supports and change the refresh rate in the driver settings to match that (eg 50hz, 60hz, 70hz).

You should be able to do all of this without installing additional software, but powerstrip could be useful later on.

Let us know how that goes.

lisa

3. rnjmorris

rnjmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, Lisa, appreciate the quick reply! Further thoughts and opinons welcome.

Rod

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Definately invest in a DVI to HDMI cable ! This would be a completely digital connection from Disc to TV instead of Digital (Disc) to Analogue (S-Video) and back to Digital (TV).

Also, LCD screens are natively progressive scan and a progressive signal cannot be sent via S-Video meaning the tv is doing the de-interlacing. External de-interlacers are better than the TVs usually.

Another note is that the TV will be doing the upscaling and like de-interlacing it's better to be done externally.

Use something like FFDShow for de-interlacing and upscaling to the native res of the TV and use a DVI to HDMI cable.

Richie.

5. rnjmorris

rnjmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to you too, Richie. Time to open the piggy bank and get that cable I think :smashin:

Rod

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just looking at your set up, take a look at nVidia's Pure Video codecs. Apparently they are supposed to be very good as probably Lisa will tell you.

Richie.

7. rnjmorris

rnjmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richie, I'll look into that right now.

Cheers,

Rod