Asus Merlin Router for impending Sky ISP Change over (Option 61)

zaka789

Novice Member
Hi All,

I am a long term admirer of the advice on this forum, for a multitude of topics, but I haven't been able to find the answers to my specific situation this time around, so have created an account and would be most grateful for any assistance.

My current BB set up:

BT ISP > Draytek Vigor 130 > Asus RT-AC86U (Flashed with Merlin WRT)

My current set up works great, but due to CS and constant pricing issues with BT, I have decided to move to Sky.

The service goes live shortly and I'm just wondering the best way to get set up and what information I need;

1) I know for the first 10 days Sky will monitor my line for the best speeds (so they say), but I want to set up my current router straight away, will this cause issues?
2) Will I need to reboot the Draytek on the go live day to recognise the ISP change so that it resets it's settings or is this automatic?
3) Once my connection dies, I assume I can log into the Asus Interface and input the username / password and option 61 string and then go live? I am struggling on exactly what to put in these 3 boxes though? There seems to be some stuff around the internet, but a multitude of differences and nothing official from Sky?
4) Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thank you in advance, much appreciated :)

Z

D

Deleted member 24354

4) Is there anything else I need to consider?
Your sanity moving from BT to Sky??
If you think BT are a SOS then you are in for a whole new level of shoddiness. BT CS will look like geniuses compared to what you are going to. Best of luck with that transition.

I would not set up your own router to start with. Leave the Sky in for 10 days to let the line stabilize then swap it out. If there are any problems Sky will not provide you any support if you are not using their Hub

zaka789

Novice Member
Your sanity moving from BT to Sky??
If you think BT are a SOS then you are in for a whole new level of shoddiness. BT CS will look like geniuses compared to what you are going to. Best of luck with that transition.

I would not set up your own router to start with. Leave the Sky in for 10 days to let the line stabilize then swap it out. If there are any problems Sky will not provide you any support if you are not using their Hub

I knew I should have left 1-3 only ;) Thanks for your response, to be fair I am with Sky for TV and CS are much better, and they actually bill me correctly.

Regarding the Sky router, I note that I will get no support if there is an issue, but would it cause a problem to set my router up from the off, and IF I encounter an issue then swap to the sky hub? I just wondered if the actual testing element would matter what router it was, surely they just track the downtime if any at varying speeds?

Hopefully someone has the answers for 2-4 or has done something different recently :)

D

Deleted member 24354

The reason for leaving the sky router on initially is that if they have to dial into your router for any reason during the first 10 days, it will be less problematic for you and for them to make any adjustments. After that feel free to swap them over.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind that any time you swap routers, you're in for a day of IP address chaos as the DHCP Leases issued by the old router time out and are replaced by new leases from the new router. This is true even if the IP internal address range (subnet) does not change.

There is a kind of "fingerprint" in each DHCP lease so that clients know which DHCP Server issued them. Many clients will continue using a lease they have "In hand" until it times out even if they are offered a new lease with the same IP address from a different DHCP Server. It's a bit of a safeguard to help prevent DHCP Spoofing.

Rebooting everything after the router swap may expedite the resolution, if not just wait for DHCP to do it's thing automatically - typically 12-24 hours.

Of course, you'll have to attend to any statically assigned IP addresses yourself.

zaka789

Novice Member
Thanks all,

I have set up my own kit from the off. If I have an issue I appreciate Sky will not help and I will then need to swap to their router to see if the issue persists and get help or it is something I have done.

I seem to be getting expected speeds and everything went swimmingly other than the fact that the 'plug and play' Draytek Vigor 130 needs to be placed in bridge mode which is when everything sprung into life.

My only question (not that i'm too sure it matters) is obviously I will not now be able to access the Vigor for software updates and the like by typing in the standard IP, It will just divert me to the Asus log in, so my question now, is how will I log into the Draytek interface if required?

zaka789

Novice Member
I'll give it a try again later, that was my first port of call (no pun intended) But inputting the Draytek log in URL just sent me to the Asus landing page that told me a 'network cable' was unplugged which I assumed meant that wouldn't work.

brunation

Draytek Vigor 130

My only question (not that i'm too sure it matters) is obviously I will not now be able to access the Vigor for software updates

The 130 is available on its default address. You need to sort the routing on the Asus RT-AC86U Merlin WRT.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You'd need to set up something called a "static route" to tell the Merlin how to reach the vigor in addition to the routes the Merlin will have set up automatically. Have a look and see if it will let you inspect and amend it's "routing table."

Also, you'll possibly need a static route on the vigor for the return traffic, if it will let you, though I suppose you could get away with setting the "default gateway" to the WAN IP address of your router. Trouble is, the Merlin firewall may then reject it.

What are the IP addresses of your LAN and your vigor...?

zaka789

Novice Member
You'd need to set up something called a "static route" to tell the Merlin how to reach the vigor in addition to the routes the Merlin will have set up automatically. Have a look and see if it will let you inspect and amend it's "routing table."

Also, you'll possibly need a static route on the vigor for the return traffic, if it will let you, though I suppose you could get away with setting the "default gateway" to the WAN IP address of your router. Trouble is, the Merlin firewall may then reject it.

What are the IP addresses of your LAN and your vigor...?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Merlin and Draytek support guides and see.

Do you think it is something essential to be able to do anyway? Or am I creating myself work for no real reason?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
It's certainly not essential. I have much the same setup in that I have separate OpenReach modem and a router and whilst I'd love to be able to get at the OpenReach modem to look at the line stats and speeds to satisfy my inner nerd, I'm managing without it!

Last edited:

zaka789

Novice Member
It's certainly not essential. I have much the same setup in that I have separate OpenReach modem and a router and whilst I'd love to be able to get at the OpenReach modem to look at the line stats and speeds to satisfy my inner nerd, I'm managing without it!

Yeah mine is for my inner geek and also to update the Draytek software as and when required. But I guess I can’t do that easily.
Thanks for your help :)

zaka789

Novice Member
Very strange. We’re on day 8 and everything has been going brilliantly. This morning the internet died for around 5 minutes and then my partner tells me came back. This evening it died for around 40 minutes, I assumed it was sky doing line tests but it seemed to be down for too long! I’ve just rebooted the ASUS and now back in business straight away. Is this normal or something I’ve done wrong?

I know best advice was to leave the sky kit plugged in for first 10 days but I was told that was for resolutions and wouldn’t affect line testing if I swapped immediately. Assume it wasn’t anything to do with my leases expiring as that would have caused issues sooner than day 8?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom