Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime

wolvers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread for the Prime as it's getting closer to release now and more info is starting to emerge. The official site is live too now;

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201

It's looking like it'll be expensive though compared to the original TF. Amazon.de have it listed with the keyboard for 599 Euros;

http://www.amazon.de/EeePad-Transfo...SHA/ref=pd_cp_computers_0/276-5950152-3889610

They're available for pre-order in the US too according to this fan site here;

ASUS Transformer Prime - Features, Specifications & Release Date | Transformer Prime Review

Hands on look at the Prime here;

http://ritchiesroom.com/2011/11/28/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-first-look/

So who's getting one? I'm really keen as the TF is so brilliant and this is basically a better and more powerful version. The price is putting me off a bit though.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This is the 1st tablet I would even consider owning as everything else released up to now has been underspec'ed to me. Looking forward to seeing some detailed reviews :)

I am looking at getting this tablet. I have used my dads original transformer and i love it.

What do you think the chances are for getting a pre Christmas 2011 UK release?

What do you think the chances are for getting a pre Christmas 2011 UK release?
Everything I've seen thus far on the web points to an early Jan UK release, which might not be so bad as it could mean the ICS update will be available to apply straight out of the box.

It's looking like it'll be expensive though compared to the original TF. Amazon.de have it listed with the keyboard for 599 Euros;

Asus EeePad Transformer Prime 25,7 cm Tablet-PC inkl.: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör
Not that much more expensive considering the Transformer Prime is pitched as an additional premium offering and not a replacement for the original Transformer, as the current 32GB Transformer + keyboard will set you back in the region of £460.

It's a shame it's not being offered without the keyboard to give a cheaper option, but then a lot of the attraction to me is being able to use it as a lightweight laptop while on the move, so personally a keyboardless option is not one I'd consider.

You'd think they'd be keen to capitalise on the Christmas market wouldn't you. Here's hoping, and that I can get one without the dock. I've yet to see just the tablet advertised.

£370-£380ish would be OK I guess seen as I paid £320 for my 16gb TF.

Last edited:
You'd think they'd be keen to capitalise on the Christmas market wouldn't you. Here's hoping, and that I can get one without the dock. I've yet to see just the tablet advertised
I think a pre-Xmas release in all territories would have been the original plan, however the Tregra 3 SoC was delayed probably meaning they are only available in limited numbers initially, hence it's just the US getting the pre-Xmas launch, although even there it appears to be going down to the wire to get it out before Xmas. It was also supposed to launch with Android ICS 4.0, but again it appears that delays have meant they've had to push the initial units out with Honeycomb 3.2, although rumour suggests the ICS update will be available before the end of the year.

Odd pricing on Amazon.de. Thay have the prime and dock bundled at 599 euros but also the prime on its own at 599 and dock at 149 euros.

Everything I've seen thus far on the web points to an early Jan UK release, which might not be so bad as it could mean the ICS update will be available to apply straight out of the box.

Thank you but thats not the answer i was hoping for :)

Lets hope they try for a pre Christmans release and i am hoping to treat myself :D

Odd pricing on Amazon.de. Thay have the prime and dock bundled at 599 euros but also the prime on its own at 599 and dock at 149 euros.
The Prime on it's own without keyboard-dock is the 64GB version, see Asus EeePad Transformer Prime 25,7 cm Tablet-PC gold: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

So options appear to be:

TF-Prime 32GB bundled with Keyboard-dock - 599 euro
TF-Prime 64GB - 599 euro
TF-Prime 64GB (599 euro) + Keyboard dock (159 euro) - 758 euro

Based on a comparison of the prices on the UK & German Amazon sites for the original Transformer prices, a guess on UK pricing would be:

TF-Prime 32GB bundled with Keyboard-dock - £499
TF-Prime 64GB - £499
TF-Prime 64GB (£499) + Keyboard dock (£135) - £634

Although I'm not how much we can trust those entries on Amazon.de, as I didn't think the 64GB model was coming to Europe, unless it's just the UK missing out on this.

[EDIT] Just beaten to it by wolvers :D

£370-£380ish would be OK I guess seen as I paid £320 for my 16gb TF.
Since current 32GB Transformer is £370, I'd expect something in the region of £400 to £430 if the 32GB Prime was available on it's own.

You can get a 32gb T101 for £340, a quick search shows. How much was it at launch? I wouldn't be very happy if the 32gb TF201 is over £400.

I am going to the states in the spring, so I might wait and get one while I'm over there.

Beside which it's a US company, so it'll be an imported item from the US for which you'll be charged duty, VAT etc on top by UK Customs to get a unit that has no UK warranty (assuming there's no an international warranty).

Interesting use of PS3 controller at 2.40 in on this video:

looks like the Prime has native PS3 and xbox controller support from the PC world hands on

Last edited:
Interesting that they're not so keen on the dock, good job I'm not intending to get one! I'm also a bit surprised that it has a mono speaker, which seems a bit odd. The rest sounds very good though, especially the screen, battery life and performance. :thumbsup:

First glance review on Techradar today ( linky ) seems to imply that there will only be one SKU in jan 32gb with dock £499.

I have been drooling over the reviews for this...can't wait until its released, the price is steep, but it sounds like its going to kick tablet ass!

I have been drooling over the reviews for this...can't wait until its released, the price is steep, but it sounds like its going to kick tablet ass!

Same here, I've got an acer laptop which is good but I have found myself using my HTC Desire HD more in the evening, decided that a tablet is the next logical step for me and that this is the one, it looks fantastic and really like the idea of the bundled keyboard dock.

I also got a refund from the taxman which will be put towards this :)

I think I'll probably just end up getting the 64gb version as I can see me using the extra storage space more than the KB. If I can get somewhere near £200 for my TF, then it won't be too bad. I'll have to wait for them to arrive in PC world though as I have a load of vouchers already. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom