ASUS ChromeBox (M060U) Review & Comments

Weighing in at five grams, Hodge?

Hmm, no, that can't be right!

I'm currently searching for the correct weight, clearly their website had it wrong. Failing that, I'll get out the scales.

EDIT: What's 620g (uncalibrated scales) between friends! Amended and thanks!

Last edited:
I have the better spec M031U and these little boxes are simply awesome. Shuv KODI on there and you're all set.

I have the better spec M031U and these little boxes are simply awesome. Shuv KODI on there and you're all set.

What is the spec difference between the two ? and also has it got the performance to run the Lanczos3 Optimized or Spline36 Optimized upscalers ?

What is the spec difference between the two ? and also has it got the performance to run the Lanczos3 Optimized or Spline36 Optimized upscalers ?

There's more memory in the M031U. Lanczos3 will run yes but more speed, more heat, more fan speed. It basically turns the sweet little box into a noise box. Id use Bilinear scaling :)

As far as future proofing, the review States the Asus will currently pass through 7.1 audio. With streams from Netflix and Amazon starting to offer some Atmos content, can this be passed through or not? And what about Atmos in proper 5.1.4?

Hmm, no, that can't be right!

I'm currently searching for the correct weight, clearly their website had it wrong. Failing that, I'll get out the scales.

EDIT: What's 620g (uncalibrated scales) between friends! Amended and thanks!
The weight is shown as 5g on Amazon, so they have it wrong as well. It's shown as 600g on another site, so I have changed it to that @Mark Hodgkinson

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheaper android boxes can play 1080p 3d, but cannot play dts hd.

Can someone confirm if this can do 1080p 3d 7.1 playback rip?

Last edited:
All the Asus Chromebox model numbers are a bit confusing, M031 is higher spec than M060, and now there is a M099. Are they all the same apart from RAM?

On the back of such a good review I ordered one from amazon today,I'm going to set it up as a duel boot openelec and chrome.Fingers crossed it performs as well as the review model.

Will you be reviewing the New Amazon Fire TV? Wonder how they will stack up against each other for Kodi use??

Can the asus chromebox run Kodi->mpc-hc+madr with a 3D LUT?

Come to think of it, would I be able to run DispcalGUI on it to create the 3D LUT for a calibrated reference video output? What is the spec of the Intel gfx (HD5000?)

It won't as you're using Openelec for Kodi which doesn't enable you to use an external player. You'd need to be running Windows to install them.

You could install windows on it, but I doubt running Windows if it would be that quick as it's quite a low spec processor with only 2GB RAM. Running Windows as well you'd lose out on HD Audio as a Celeron processor can't manage HD Audio under Windows AFAIK.

SloppyBob: I noticed there is an i7 version. Can that output HD Audio under windows?

It should, a NUC does, but I wouldn't like to say anything definitive either way. Perhaps a browse onto the Kodi forums would help.

Is there anywhere in the UK to biuy these a a reasonable price? I know they are dirt cheap in the US, but always seem to be around £200 when i've looked in UK

I am interested in a dedicated Kodi device for my main TV and this interests me a lot. I like the idea of Openelec and the dualboot with chrome looks promising, has anyone done this? I also like to run a VPN, could I use a VPN (currently PIA) with the box running openelec?

My first impressions, chrome os, is really poor

Im trying to change the operating system.

I am yet to find a videoplayer on chrome os that can play dts hd or dolby hd.

Im probably going to sell it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom