Asus A8N-SLI Premium Boot Issue - Help Please!!

joust

Hi All,

Second-hand board, x2 3800, zalman 7700AlCu HSF, 7600GT, 1gb Geil value, 80Gb Maxtor SATA, Sony DVD - all components transplanted from a deluxe version of this board with no issues (deluxe now to serve as home server).

Issue is that the system won't boot past the devices listings - it recognises the HDD and DVD, however, the system won't go past this screen no matter what is set as the boot device.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing the issue? (p.s. I don't know what BIOS is running - can anybody tell me how to find out from the boot screens alone?)

Cheers

Joust

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
On my motherboard I had to set the BIOS to recognise that a SATA drive was connected and that IT was the drive to start first, it is classed as a removable drive.

booyaka

make sure all the settings on the board are set to Auto or stock levels.

It may be that the previous owner of the premium board was overclocking etc - and thus the settings might still be there.

Go into bios and set all the FSB/RAM/multi etc back to auto.

Give that a try

joust

Hi Andy,

Have tried setting all the options in the BIOS, even setting to boot from DVD with a WinXp disk in the drive - it wouldn't do that!! I've attached a screenshot as to where the boot sequence gets to, and then goes no further (the system doesn't make any attempt to boot from any drive in the system). Any ideas on this would be gladly appreciated, or is the board borked?

Cheers

Joust

Attachments

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I would have to agree with the idea of setting your Motherboard back to day one settings. Go into BIOS (DEL) and activate "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS" select "yes", and do not forget to SAVE on exit (F10). Reboot and if it does not start again then check the boot sequence.

I do assume that you DID rebuild the Hard drive, and not just swop it to the new motherboard. If you have I would suggest you put it back and build your new PC with the new motherboard. Set up Home networking and transfer all the files you need between the PC's.

joust

Thanks for the advice so far guys. When I initially built the new PC, I loaded the setup defaults into the BIOS (and that is what you have seen running). I haven't rebuilt the HDD, however, I don't think this is an issue as the machine won't even boot from CDROM when set to the 1st boot disk. The HDD has also been checked again on another computer and is working fine.

Joust

booyaka

Stange indeed - i know when my pc fails to get past that screen it's due to something to do with the overclocking that i might have changed.

i/e ram speed, fsb speed, lack of voltage via the cpu etc. So i just go back to the bios and change the settings i need.

It still does sound like a bios issue/ or a ram issue.

Are you running 2 x 512Mb sticks? if so try booting with just one stick in. Also try the different slots for the ram.

joust

booyaka said:
Stange indeed - i know when my pc fails to get past that screen it's due to something to do with the overclocking that i might have changed.

i/e ram speed, fsb speed, lack of voltage via the cpu etc. So i just go back to the bios and change the settings i need.

It still does sound like a bios issue/ or a ram issue.

Are you running 2 x 512Mb sticks? if so try booting with just one stick in. Also try the different slots for the ram.
Hi Booyaka,

Tried as you suggseted above, down to 1 stick of RAM in alternative slots - still no joy :(

Last course of action will be to remove the MB from the case and check the HSF installation. After that I guess that I can confirm the the board is borked?

Cheers

Joust

booyaka

would also check the lastest bios version supports your X2 (dual core)
Make sure that nothing is shorting out - i.e the risers from you motherboard/case are not touching anything to make it short out.

Can you check with an old cpu in the motherboard? - borrow one from a friend.

Have you tried reseting the bios jumper? - i.e clear the CMOS

Paul Shirley

Novice Member
joust said:
Have tried setting all the options in the BIOS, even setting to boot from DVD with a WinXp disk in the drive - it wouldn't do that!
From the screenshot you crash is happening *before* it even tries to boot. You should see something like 'Verifying DMI pool' come up before it clears the screen and starts to boot. Doesn't look like a drive problem.

I suggest pulling the CMOS battery, hard resetting the CMOS then loading safe defaults in the BIOS, to ensure it really has fully reset. As a last resort check if your board has a BIOS recovery procedure and try it - though if its like my MSI boards it needs to boot from floppy so probably won't help you!

Syfer

Hi all,

I sold this board to Joust a few weeks ago.

It was working 100% when I took it out of the machine with the following components installed:

A64 4000+
2 x 1GB Crucial DDR400
1 x 80GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA
1 x NEC DVD/RW
Zalman CNPS7700-CU
Hiper TypeR 580 Modular
ATI X850XTPE

I did have the CPU overclocked, running at 2.8. Before I stripped down the machine I reset the bios to setup defaults.

From the image supplied, it appears to be an IRQ error, stopping at the ACPI controller. Basically the board is having difficulties finding somethine to boot from. I think there is a setting in the bios with reference to ACPI support or similar.

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t58795.html

The above link could help?

Scott

joust

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply - I have had alook at the thread, however, I have already tried setting the DVD as master boot, with no success. I have posted another thread on the AMD forum to see if anybody can come up with an answer on there. One question, do you know what revision of BIOS you were running?

Cheers

Joust

Syfer

joust said:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply - I have had alook at the thread, however, I have already tried setting the DVD as master boot, with no success. I have posted another thread on the AMD forum to see if anybody can come up with an answer on there. One question, do you know what revision of BIOS you were running?

Cheers

Joust
No idea what version of bios the board is running, sorry. I know I never bothered updating it as everything was very fast & stable as it was.

Have you tried a different optical drive or an IDE HDD?

Scott

mjn

Distinguished Member
I had that exact issue with another Asus board, and it was because that i had a SCSI card installed, with the SATA enabled, so i would disable the SATA and see what happens. Sounds like a conflict somewhere.

Also make sure your floppy drive is cabled correctly, as it maybe trying to boot from this, but not able to detect the drive.

joust

mjn said:
I had that exact issue with another Asus board, and it was because that i had a SCSI card installed, with the SATA enabled, so i would disable the SATA and see what happens. Sounds like a conflict somewhere.

Also make sure your floppy drive is cabled correctly, as it maybe trying to boot from this, but not able to detect the drive.
Hi mjn,

Thanks for the reply - I don't have a floppy drive installed, so that can't be the issue.

The conflict sounds good, but I've only got the basics plugged in.

Syfer, I don't have a spare IDE HDD, however, this same setup installed just fine on the deluxe version when I set that up at X-mas. The Sony DVD is on IDE.

Plugged in at the moment, I have a network 100MB connection, and the audio (although the speaking feature doesn't seem to work?? I wonder if I disable the onboard sound this could help??) - any ideas on this one??

Cheers

Joust

Syfer

joust said:
Hi mjn,

Thanks for the reply - I don't have a floppy drive installed, so that can't be the issue.

The conflict sounds good, but I've only got the basics plugged in.

Syfer, I don't have a spare IDE HDD, however, this same setup installed just fine on the deluxe version when I set that up at X-mas. The Sony DVD is on IDE.

Plugged in at the moment, I have a network 100MB connection, and the audio (although the speaking feature doesn't seem to work?? I wonder if I disable the onboard sound this could help??) - any ideas on this one??

Cheers

Joust
I have been reading a bit about this on the web & in every instance I have come accroos the problem it is related to something attached to the board, i.e. cards, RAM, CPU, HSF or even the PSU. Have you got the fan plugged into the header on the board, or connected directly to the PSU?

Another thing I suppose it could be is the fact that it has never had a Dual Core CPU installed before. If the board is running an old version of bios, maybe that was not compatable with DC CPU's? Just a thought.....

Scott

joust

Guys,

Thanks for all the help so far!!!!

Anyway, have disabled all the onboard devices - LAN, audio and IEE1394. The boot sequence gets just a teeny bit further - still on the device listings screen, but now that screen gets some interesting corruption (may be able to get a picture later to show you).

Hmm.....think it leaves 2 possibilities: incorrect BIOS (though I only have an opteron as my other chip, and that requires a later BIOS than an X2) or poor seating of the HSF. I will try the HSF later and report back.

Failing the HSF, anybody near North Shropshire that has a X1 939 processor that I could borrow for a while???

Joust

joust

Update as from today:

Been to OcUK and bought one of the 3700 San Diego's. Installed into the premium board, with a standard HSF (transferred this from the deluxe board) and booted..........and waited and waited. Still halts at the same place. Based on this I can ponly conclude that the board is borked.

Can anybody this of any other reason for this not to work????

If not, Syfer, I will be in touch on PM.

Cheers

Joust