Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and lost internet connection, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Jul 9, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi

I have a problem with losing my internet connection. Info on my setup

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, XP professional, zen internet broadband, Dynamode or speedtouch modem connected via ethernet Lan port. The motherboard has both a gigabyte Lan and a 10/100 Lan port.

Everytime I add a new network device, e.g skystar 2 I lose my internet connection. The only way I can cure this is to do a total reload of windows. I get a message saying something about winsock settings being changed and no matter what I try I cannot connect to the internet.

The last time was yesterday I had done full reinstall and had installed the gigabyte Lan connection drivers. The internet worked fine. I then installed the motherboard drivers (including the 10/100 Lan port driver) and the internet connection was lost. I am sick of reinstalling windows. I finally gave up on the Skystar2 altogether and stuck it back in my old computer.

I have compared the network settings with my old computer and everything looks the same.

Can anyone help? Has anyone had similar problems?

thanks
    Darren

2. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had this problem before with different hardware and i had to turn my lan connection to my modem to 10mbs as then the internet came back as by default your card will try and auto negotiate and the modem did nto like it just a thought :thumbsup:

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Thanks for that but how do I change my Lan speed? The lan connections are built in to the motherboard. I also tried a separate PCI Lan card and that did not work either.

It is definately software / Windows related. Windows does not let you uninstall TCP/IP or else I would try that and reinstall it again.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,812
    right click "my network places", select properties, right click LAN connection and again select properties. Click configure, then Advanced, and look for speed/duplex. Then you can change the hardware speed.

But i too have had problems with the on-board NIC, but i had terrible performance, and so had to use a PCI NIC.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked it isn't bridging? IIRC XP did once create a bridge when I installed a Skystar II. It only happened once (ages ago) & I've since had Skystars on several mainboards, all with on-board Lan, without issue.

:smoke:

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Finally sorted it after trawling the net looking for similar problems.

I had to go into the registry and delete Winsock and Winsock 2

Reinstall TCP/IP then do a network repair

Thank god I do not have to reinstall everything yet again.

I will retry that skystar now

thanks for all your help anyway guys

Darren