asus 5850 or directcu

xware

Standard Member
hey all

I want to buy a new 5850 gpu because i hear they are really good overall. I just wanna know which is better, the normal reference 5850 or the directcu version of it because if the reference version has been discontinued surely that means this new version is better? I wanna know like te overclocking ability o these cards as well, can they both be overvolted? and overclocked? is the significant price increase over the reference one worth it?

Last edited:

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
hey all

I want to buy a new 5850 gpu because i hear they are really good overall. I just wanna know which is better, the normal reference 5850 or the directcu version of it because if the reference version has been discontinued surely that means this new version is better? I wanna know like te overclocking ability o these cards as well, can they both be overvolted? and overclocked? is the significant price increase over the reference one worth it?

There's a thread just below this one about this card also. The Direct Cu cards run cooler, quieter and consume less power.

MARlO

Standard Member
There are many sites that review this card and they all say what chief said, plus they are factory overclocked too....

wolvers

Distinguished Member
Some, but not all, of the non-reference boards don't have the software controllable voltage regulators. This means that you're getting boards with cheaper components for the same price, sometimes more. Mostly this matters if you want to overclock it as far as possible as you will be limited by the stock voltages.

I'm not sure how if the directcu does have the VDDCs for voltage control so it's worth doing some googling.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom